Federal Stafford Loan Lender Comparison Chart

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harry Truman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that are as confused as I am in terms of choosing a lender for Stafford loans, worry no more. I found a chart on the Tulane website which provides a nice comparison of several popular lenders and what they have to offer.

http://www.tulane.edu/~finaid/stafford03-04.shtml

Members don't see this ad.

That's a great link. I'm going to put it in our Financial Aid Links Thread.... :thumbup:

hey guys,

could someone help explain how the various special benefits/incentives tend to stack up? i'll be taking out the full $38,500 in stafford loans each year (unless there is some cap that prevents me from doing that fourth year), plan to begin repayment in residency, and am the type of person who will make 100% of my payments on time. from that chart, some of the benefits are:

*1 percent fee rebate (zero guarantee fee) on Stafford loans.
* 0% interest for the first year of your unsubsidized Stafford Loan.
* AMS will invest the 3% loan origination fees that have been paid into a Personal Investment Account in the borrower's name. The investment will be made in three equal installments: 1% at graduation, 1% when repayment begins, and 1% twelve months after repayment begins.
* Students will receive an automatic 0.5% interest rate reduction after 36 consecutive on-time payments and a 0.25% interest rate reduction for automatic withdrawal.

*0.25 % reduction in the interest rate for debit from a checking or savings account
* 2.00 % interest rate reduction after 48 monthly on-time payments

*1 percent fee rebate (zero guarantee fee) on Stafford loans
* Student borrowers receive 3.3% - cash or credit- based on the original principal balance of each Stafford loan disbursed through Bank One on or after July 1, 2002 and serviced by Sallie Mae. To qualify, students must 1) Make 33 initial payments on time, 2) Sign up for Internet Self-Service and 3) Agree to receive Sallie Mae account information at a valid e-mail address.

which of these would be the best deal if all payments are made on time?

Members don't see this ad :)
That link no longer works :(

LaughingGiraffe, why would you want to start repayment in residency? You probably won't be making enough money to do that.

Besides, you might can work out an agreement to have a hospital, township, or physician practice to repay your loans!

BTW, some schools have special agreements with cetain lenders that will waive origination fees and those other extra fees we would rather not pay. Check with your school's finaid office to get a list, if any, exists.