Fee Assistance Program (FAP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

For those who qualify, could they in theory apply to every single medical school in the nation... for free? So far all of the secondaries I've received also honor the FAP. This has no intention to bash recipients.

Members don't see this ad.

No. I have FAP and you only get 14 schools free for the primary app. You could probably get most of the secondaries free beyond 14 because almost every school waives it for FAP recipients. Not all, tough. Tulane, for example, I just found out reduces their fee by like $40 instead of waiving it.

Saying FAP so many times makes me giggle. Heeee....

The FAP only covers the first 14 schools you apply to
I received it and applied to 22 schools last cycle. Still had to pay hundreds~

With that said... most secondaries are free, and there is no limit to how many secondary fees you can bypass.

it's still a sweet deal for us poor folk
lol

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who qualify, could they in theory apply to every single medical school in the nation... for free? So far all of the secondaries I've received also honor the FAP. This has no intention to bash recipients.

I remember it being free for around 14 schools. After there, regular AMCAS fees apply. So pick whatever schools you're willing to attend. I think 14 is enough. Besides, who wants to do 150+ secondary applications?

FAP recipients are only given 14 free secondaries, and not all schools accept FAP (https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/fap/about/)

Here is a list from 2007; I'm not sure how accurate it is in 2011

SCHOOLS THAT DO NOT WAIVE THE SECONDARY APPLICATION FEE IF YOU ARE A FAP RECIPIENT:
Loma Linda: $75
New York Medical College (NYMC): $100
University of Cincinnati: ($25?)
University of Miami: $65
University of South Florida: ($35?)
University of Florida: $30

SCHOOLS THAT REDUCE THE SECONDARY APPLICATION FEE IF YOU ARE A FAP RECIPIENT:
Tulane University: Reduced to $50

SCHOOLS THAT DO WAIVE THE SECONDARY APPLICATION FEE IF YOU ARE A FAP RECIPIENT:
Albany
Baylor (you have to call them)
Boston University