Fee Assistance Program question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillaxbro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for FAP but they need my tax forms and my parents signature
I cant go home for another 3 weeks or so

I want to submit my amcas ASAP (ie right now) but it says "Submitting your AMCAS application will make you ineligible to receive Fee Assistance for AMCAS for the current calendar year". I was planning on submitting my amcas and paying the $160 for 1 school and then since it takes almost 6 weeks to verify, I can go home in 3 weeks and get everything done before the 6 weeks was up and add my 14 free schools.

Does this mean I can't do that?

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying for FAP but they need my tax forms and my parents signature
I cant go home for another 3 weeks or so

I want to submit my amcas ASAP (ie right now) but it says "Submitting your AMCAS application will make you ineligible to receive Fee Assistance for AMCAS for the current calendar year". I was planning on submitting my amcas and paying the $160 for 1 school and then since it takes almost 6 weeks to verify, I can go home in 3 weeks and get everything done before the 6 weeks was up and add my 14 free schools.

Does this mean I can't do that?

Yes. If you pay you are ineligible for FAP because you obviously have money to pay. Just have your parents email you the forms and sign it yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
fax, scan and email, or postal mail forms to parents and have them submit to AMCAS.

You don't understand how good it feels to FAP on a secondary application.

SMH, I'm hoping that once people get done with medical school they'll have no need to FAP anymore. With ObamaCare I may be wrong, 'tho. There may never be an escape from FAPping:(

SMH, I'm hoping that once people get done with medical school they'll have no need to FAP anymore. With ObamaCare I may be wrong, 'tho. There may never be an escape from FAPping:(

Y u mad tho?

The only thing worse than people using other people's money to help yourself is to be proud of it and gloat...

The only thing worse than people using other people's money to help yourself is to be proud of it and gloat...

Whose money am I using? It's a fee waiver, which means the fees are waived. I pay my taxes too. Y u mad?

I hope you tell that to your future patients on various forms of government insurance that are paying you.

Last edited:

While I agree that "gloating" about it is not the best way to go, I don't think that people who FAP use other people's money. Some of them really do need the med schools to waive the fees. And I would love to see someone make a "go work like the rest of us argument." I work 25 hours a week over a full course load during the regular semester and full time for the summer. I have been working for the last five years and everything I "save" either goes to tuition or apartment rent...

I am still trying to figure out if I can save enough from this summer to avoid FAPing. I wouldn't do it if I have the money. However, with the lack of scholarships it seems likely that I might end up using it next cycle.

I can't tell if everyone is just blissfully unaware of the other meaning of FAP or I'm just not catching the very subtle intention in everyone's posts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whose money am I using? It's a fee waiver, which means the fees are waived. I pay my taxes too. Y u mad?

I hope you tell that to your future patients on various forms of government insurance that are paying you.

Except you didn't do anything to earn FAP. I'll earn my salary.

what are you talking about? the FAP doesn't use other people's money. Half of your patients will be on some type of government welfare that is directly paying your salary.

url

Attachments

• url.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 22
First Off: FAP FAP FAP. Hahaha.

Second:
To be honest, you should have been more on top of this. I'm sorry if you just found out about it, but many who apply for FAP apply right away. You can definitely try because it may still work for you, but you do run the risk of having a late application.

For some schools however, a late application may not be a problem, so this is something to keep in mind.

For those who need it, FAP is pretty amazing, however the next problem is how to travel to an interview and back after receiving the invite. I would revisit your budget if I were you and figure out what you can afford and compare this with how much a late app may affect your chances.

I got a second job to pay for my app cycle. I could have used FAP but would rather take pride in my own work than being a pompous freeloader.

tumblr_m0upyb5KES1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

Apparently all FAP users are wealthy freeloaders. :rolleyes:

How noble of you

It's not about that. It's about people being proud that they get to use FAP. There is nothing to be proud of. Be proud of things you've accomplished rather than things given to you...

It's not about that. It's about people being proud that they get to use FAP. There is nothing to be proud of. Be proud of things you've accomplished rather than things given to you...

Who here is proud of being poor? Do you not know what FAP also means on the internet? When I said, "you don't know how good it feels to FAP," did you think I was gloating?

I'm not proud of being poor, but there's is no way I can afford primaries, secondaries, hotels, AND airfare. I work just as hard as you. Maybe your parents helped you? I don't know man, but it would be stupid to NOT apply for FAP if you qualify. It also isn't some social welfare program. There's no taxpayer money invested in it. What are you going to tell your medicare and medicaid patients?

I'm not going into my stances on social welfare. It doesn't have any affect on this discussion because FAP is not a social welfare program. My point is that you should never be proud of a handout and gloat about it like posters on here have with the memes.

That's all.

If the OP can afford some apps, thy don't need FAP. Rather than using FAP, I chose to get a second job to pay for my app cycle in cash. Why? Because I could. Most people can do more and chose not to.

I'm not going into my stances on social welfare. It doesn't have any affect on this discussion because FAP is not a social welfare program. My point is that you should never be proud of a handout and gloat about it like posters on here have with the memes.

That's all.

We already know your stances on social welfare. Who is gloating? I think the memes are jokes about the other meaning of FAP, as was my comment. I don't think anyone is proud of receiving FAP. More likely they are thankful, relieved, and excited. Who is gloating? There is no hand out with FAP. I don't understand why you are upset that somebody gets their fees waived. They just don't charge us. They don't hand us free money.

Edit: OK, I get what you are saying about OP's situation, but I don't think anyone here is proud they get FAP. I don't feel a sense of pride when I walk into my school's financial aid office. I feel almost embarrassed.

Last edited:
I just found this highly relevant meme that seems to have been destined for this thread:

35oapj.jpg

In every thread, the poor or urms or both are being bashed

This is like the ultimate misunderstanding. :rofl:

I was looking into this as well. My mom is a single parent and I can't take on a full time job because I need to dedicate my time to studies, volunteering, shadowing, etc. what is the maximum one's parent can make?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app