Fee for supervision psych NP in outpatient clinic in CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pyra

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone supervise psych NPs in CA? This would be for an outpatient group private practice setting for one psych NP. What do you typically charge per month? I know of one job would be $750/month but this seems low given the increase in liability. Is $1000-1500/month more typical? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I think we need more details like full time vs part time, how much actual time do you need with the np daily/weekly for you to feel comfortable the supervision is adequate, are you employing the np or supervising for the clinic.

If I was supervising for a full time NP I would want an extra $4000/month, though I'm not sure how realistic that it is. I figure $48,000 a year, plus the NPs salary, is less than they would pay a full time psychiatrist.

you should charge whatever your highest hourly rate is for clinical care, multiplied by the number of hours a month required to do the job (typically 2-4hrs per NP). california you cannot supervise more than 4 NPs at a time. technically you are supposed to readily available by phone while they are in clinic.

but of course you decide what is reasonable for you to take on the liability (which btw is very low). despite all the nonsense about "just wait until the NPs get sued!!" etc it just doesn't happen very often. patients like NPs and the standard of care is so low in psychiatry it is very hard in outpatient practice to successfully be sued.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think we need more details like full time vs part time, how much actual time do you need with the np daily/weekly for you to feel comfortable the supervision is adequate, are you employing the np or supervising for the clinic.

If I was supervising for a full time NP I would want an extra $4000/month, though I'm not sure how realistic that it is. I figure $48,000 a year, plus the NPs salary, is less than they would pay a full time psychiatrist.

Thank you! It would be supervising for the clinic, I would be a 1099 contractor for a group practice.

you should charge whatever your highest hourly rate is for clinical care, multiplied by the number of hours a month required to do the job (typically 2-4hrs per NP). california you cannot supervise more than 4 NPs at a time. technically you are supposed to readily available by phone while they are in clinic.

but of course you decide what is reasonable for you to take on the liability (which btw is very low). despite all the nonsense about "just wait until the NPs get sued!!" etc it just doesn't happen very often. patients like NPs and the standard of care is so low in psychiatry it is very hard in outpatient practice to successfully be sued.

Thank you for the helpful info. Charging the highest hourly rate makes sense.