fee waiver question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aliDO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I applied for the fee waiver which will cover three schools. My question is many of the schools will also waive secondary fees so how do I designate my top three choices? I will be applying to about nine schools and I want to make sure the three which will receive a fee waiver will also take fee waivers for secondaries. Is there a way to do this on AACOMAS? I haven't gotten my verification yet, but I sent my info in in May 1 and should be eligible. Has anybody else been verified for a fee waiver yet? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

OK, so I applied for the fee waiver which will cover three schools. My question is many of the schools will also waive secondary fees so how do I designate my top three choices? I will be applying to about nine schools and I want to make sure the three which will receive a fee waiver will also take fee waivers for secondaries. Is there a way to do this on AACOMAS? I haven't gotten my verification yet, but I sent my info in in May 1 and should be eligible. Has anybody else been verified for a fee waiver yet? Thanks in advance!
aacomas will notify them.....have you already got the ok from aacomas??amcas approved my fee waiver in a matter of days... i still have no word from aacomas

If I remember correctly, I think a lot of these places will say that if you got the fee waiver from AACOMAS, you can also get the secondary fee waiver. Other schools will still want the fee. It will probably say on the secondary application, or on the website, what the policy is.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't exactly work like that. You just include all the schools and you will pay for 6 (if you do apply to 9). If a school (KCOM for example) will waive the secondary fee if you got the waiver, they will do so whether you designated them first or right before submitting your app. It doesn't matter.

OP-

I do believe if you are granted the fee waiver, all secondaries that accept the fee waiver will waive the fee regardless of them being the top 3 waived in AACOMAS. If you want to know now, call each of the admissions offices and ask. I know New Jersey, PCOM, and UNE accept the fee waiver....the only 3 I applied to. As far as AMCAS, 11/12 applied to accepted the waiver for the secondary (Howard did not).

Hope this helps. And best of luck to you during this application cycle!

Thanks for all the input!

Does anyone know which schools waive the secondary fee if you have been approved for the AACOMAS fee waiver?

Does anyone know which schools waive the secondary fee if you have been approved for the AACOMAS fee waiver?

KCUMB and KCOM do.

how are we going to be notified of approval for a fee waiver??

how are we going to be notified of approval for a fee waiver??

I'm wondering the same thing too. I check my email and AACOMAS several times a day and nothing yet. Hopefully soon. If I have time I'll call them.

How do you apply for fee waiver? Do you have to write another essay explaining why you need fee assistance? I am currently unemployed, so does that mean I am eligible for this?

Since it takes up to four weeks to hear back from AACOMAS for the fee waiver, if I go ahead and submit my application and not get the fee waiver for the first three, is it still in effect for forwarding my name to the schools for secondaries?

Since it takes up to four weeks to hear back from AACOMAS for the fee waiver, if I go ahead and submit my application and not get the fee waiver for the first three, is it still in effect for forwarding my name to the schools for secondaries?

I'm pretty sure if you submit your application before being approved then you will not receive the fee waiver or any secondary benefits.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just recieved my fee waiver approval today in the mail. I sent my information to them about 1 month ago.

How do you apply for fee waiver? Do you have to write another essay explaining why you need fee assistance? I am currently unemployed, so does that mean I am eligible for this?

You do not have to write an essay. I wrote a simple letter stating that I was applying for the fee waiver. You have to include you SAR which determines whether or not you qualify for the fee waiver.

I'm pretty sure if you submit your application before being approved then you will not receive the fee waiver or any secondary benefits.

aliDO is right. Do not do that. You will no longer be eligible for the fee waiver if you go ahead and submit your app.

I got a letter from them last week and I faxed them my info 3 weeks ago. All I did was send in my and my mom's W-2

Man. I wish I could get a fee waiver. I am looking at near a grand for primary apps so far!

i got it! i never got a letter, then again, i didnt send them a pre stamped envelope either.

How did you know you got it?

i went on my aacomas app, selected a few schools and it said balance was zero dollars, then on my 4th school, it said 30...check it out

i went on my aacomas app, selected a few schools and it said balance was zero dollars, then on my 4th school, it said 30...check it out

must not have gotten the fee waiver yet, still have a balance with one school. when did you apply? I sent my SAR in on May 1st. I guess I'll call on monday. thanks for the info.

must not have gotten the fee waiver yet, still have a balance with one school. when did you apply? I sent my SAR in on May 1st. I guess I'll call on monday. thanks for the info.
yeah, i think i may have sent it in around the same time..call in and make sure you app isnt on hold for some reason.

I sent mine in early may so you might want to give them a call

I sent mine in early may so you might want to give them a call

when did you get your verification? I'm going to be so upset if they didn't get my info and are out of fee waivers already!