Apr 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Optometry
i hope someone with experience/similar situation like me that can shed some feedback on how to better my application before i officially apply. i am due to take the OAT soon. some information about me is the following: i have been volunteering at an optometrist's office and do research in the biology department of my university related to the eyes. i am a very active leader on campus (which is partly the reason why i did so poorly academically). the other reason is that i had trouble with time management. of course this has now changed, i am a new person.

i am an undergrad that decided to apply to optometry school without a bachelor degree. i had to retake 5 courses which are the following:

1) calc 1
2) physics 1
3) organic 1
4) bio life mechanisms
5) gen chem 1

Jan 3, 2011
UC Berkeley
Status
Optometry Student
Do you mind sharing your overall & science GPA? What are your average practice scores for OAT? Will this be your 1st time taking it? Were you doing poorly in the beginning of undergrad, towards the end? Have you only worked in 1 optometry office? If so I would maybe try also volunteering at different offices and also volunteer at offices that focus on different fields of optometry. Which schools would you like to apply to? Some schools require bachelor's degree, others do not but I think most schools do recommend having one. Will you be graduating this year? And do you expect to be getting your bachelor's sometime in the future? When do you plan on applying?

OP
N
Apr 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Optometry
well i am still not done taking many of the prereqs. i still need about 4 more sciences (micro, anat, bio 2, and orgo 2). yes, this will be my first time taking it. i was doing poorly in the beginning. yes, i only volunteered at 1 optometry clinic. this clinic is one where an optometrist and opthalmologist work together. i am still doing my research on what schools i would like to apply to (of course looking for the ones that accept students with no bachelors because i do not plan on getting a bachelors). thank you for asking for clarification paasnaas

Sep 29, 2013
Status
Pre-Optometry
If you want to apply without a bachelors you are going to have to have excellent grades and above average OAT scores. The people that get accepted without a bachelors are few and far between. Having to retake 5 pre-reqs does not make it sound like you are a good candidate at all for applying without a bachelors. What is your GPA so far?