PhD/PsyD Feedback during interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justhereforaminute

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-

I realize places have different hiring practices, and this answer is likely going to vary, but what does it indicate if a site gives you no feedback about fit/ their interest during interviews? My experiences with postdoc interviews have ranged from "you are a great fit" to interviews that provide absolutely 0 feedback.

Would love any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

a) That's just their style b) That's what Steve in HR told them to do c) They aren't interested. All distinct possibilities, unfortunately. It's always nice to be able to walk away from an interview when both people get good feedback and it clicks conversationally.

Reactions: 1 users
I got zero feedback in the moment in "official" postdoc interviews, even when I felt like it went really well; it felt very similar to internship interviews. These were UCCs for reference. But I'd be interested to hear if other folks did get immediate feedback.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing with psychologists has been some of the worst interview experiences I have ever had because of the lack of feedback. The only thing worse are completely scripted interviews. I would rather talk to a script-using telemarketer. Patients also consistently report unhelpful psychotherapists as not providing any interpersonal feedback either. "He or she would just write down notes on a clipboard and say '...and how did that make you feel'(in a flat tone)".

I interviewed for neuro postdocs this year, and completed two interviews before I received and accepted an offer. One was at a VA (universal notification day) and there was absolutely no feedback, I couldn't tell if they loved or hated me. The other (non-match and non-UND) was much more conversational and we got along really well, and at the end she said she was really excited about my application and she thinks I'd be a great match (they later gave me an offer). From what I've heard, match sites are much more like the first site (very little feedback). May be different for non-neuro sites or those that don't abide by UND.