Feedback for clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carpet10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have any feedback for which opportunity would be most valuable in terms of clinical experience? They all sound interesting to me, but I was wondering if anyone with more clinical experience could give feedback about which description might give me the most opportunity to grow and gain clinical experience.

· Caregiver respite- stay with a patient at their private home while caregiver gets out of the house to run errands, have some personal time etc. This is typically 4 hours/week- patient may be alert and oriented and wanting to socialize with you, or the patient may be in bed and you are there as a safety presence for the caregiver.

· Socialization- visiting with patients who are living in assisted living, skilled nursing facilities, or group homes. You would spend 1 hour or so 1x/week socializing w/this patient. Discussing life review, bringing them to facility activities etc. This particular assignment has a little more flexibility involved as far as scheduling is concerned.

· Palliative Care Unit’s (PCU’s)- This is helping our paid staff in one of the PCU’s. You would be available to help staff prepare rooms, cook food, organize linens, and assist w/pt. needs such as feeding a patient, socializing with patient, combing or brushing patients hair etc. This opportunity is a scheduled shift that you would have 1x/week between 2-4 hours, each shift would be totally different as the patient census would fluctuate.

Members don't see this ad.

#1 is the least clinical of the choices. I would not choose that one if your goal is clinical experience. However, if you still find it interesting it's a very welcome and much needed service to provide respite to a caregiver.

You'd get a more clinical experience out of #2 or #3. I'd go with #3.

Reactions: 1 users