This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmonte4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what my chances are. I'm trying to get into any accredited clinical phd program or a psyd program such as baylor. No professional schools though. I'm graduating in december 05, and am only taking 6 hrs right now. I will graduate with BS in psyc from LSU and a 3.5 gpa, 4.0 my last 4 semesters. My psyc gpa is 3.5 as well. Ill have 1 yr of research experience under my belt....my reseach group has been working on a project involvong facial symmetry and individual difference variables. Also, Ive volunteered for the past year at the Baton ROuge Crisis Intervention Center as a trained phone counselor. I'm a member of PhiChi as well as the LSU psychology club. I'm currently studying for the GRE and have the Princeton Review course coming up. I plan to take the test in November and hope to make a 1200-1300. How are my credentials? Is there anything you would recommend? Thanks for the help :)

Members don't see this ad.

mmonte4 said:
I'm wondering what my chances are. I'm trying to get into any accredited clinical phd program or a psyd program such as baylor. No professional schools though. I'm graduating in december 05, and am only taking 6 hrs right now. I will graduate with BS in psyc from LSU and a 3.5 gpa, 4.0 my last 4 semesters. My psyc gpa is 3.5 as well. Ill have 1 yr of research experience under my belt....my reseach group has been working on a project involvong facial symmetry and individual difference variables. Also, Ive volunteered for the past year at the Baton ROuge Crisis Intervention Center as a trained phone counselor. I'm a member of PhiChi as well as the LSU psychology club. I'm currently studying for the GRE and have the Princeton Review course coming up. I plan to take the test in November and hope to make a 1200-1300. How are my credentials? Is there anything you would recommend? Thanks for the help :)

Get strong letters of recommendation and apply. Try to get something published, too.

Youve got pretty good stats. For a PHD program, make sure that you have a research interest match with the professors as that will be key to your admission. START NOW by contacting professors of your interested school (who match your reesearch interest) to see if they are taking anyone in this year. Better that than to apply somewhere where the profs arent taking anyone.

You'll get in somewhere, but its such a crapshoot, make sure you cover all bases. Get that book: Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology : 2004/2005 Edition (Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical Psychology)

Good source of info...