Feedback on community vs. academic program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EC3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the basic differences of the two but i was hoping that actual residents might be able to give some more details as to why they chose the program they did and if they would choose it again knowing what they now know. Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

no feedback from anyone?

You will get good training no matter where you go. Evaluate your goals and preferences. Make sure you pick a program that is a good "fit" for you.

I interviewed at both community and academic programs. I did not really have a preference for either, and ranked programs in both categories.

Members don't see this ad :)
GeneralVeers said:
You will get good training no matter where you go. Evaluate your goals and preferences. Make sure you pick a program that is a good "fit" for you.

I interviewed at both community and academic programs. I did not really have a preference for either, and ranked programs in both categories.
i'm not really worried about the training because i agree that you will likely receive good training at either. i'm just curious as to what people feel are the 'perks' of doing one over the other.

I would caution you to figure out what kind of enviroment you will see yourself in the future. At an academic institution (which are more likely inner city) there tend to be more indigent patients with attitudes like "I don't know my medical history, I go to the ER for primary care, I am officially making my problems your problem." In fact I have only seen 3 patients to this point with insurance, and those tend to be traumas. At community ED's pt's are more realistic for those interested in community ED in the future, with more responsible pts who take responsiblity for themselves and their health. My $0.02
Best Wishes

The mish