Feedback on MCAT score/next steps-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjs415

New Member
Joined
May 31, 2024
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
I am currently in a dilemma regarding my MCAT score. I have a current score of 503 (58th percentile; first attempt) and have registered for a second test on August 2nd (score will be released on September 2nd). I am unsure whether I should apply early as possible with my current score, or wait to submit my application, retake the exam and submit my application once my second score is released (one month before most deadlines).

Background:
- Filipino, male, 30 y/o
- CA Resident, currently stationed in Hawaii
- grew up with family hardship; first-generation college graduate
- will be 6 years Active Duty Navy (getting out Jan 2025)
- Navy hospital corpsman (field/combat medic); worked as a nursing assistant and anesthesia technician before joining the military

Education:
- Graduated San Jose State University with BS Kinesiology.
- DIY post-bacc for prerequisites
- 3.03 cGPA and a 3.50 sGPA

Prospective schools:
All public universities throughout California, Hawaii, Chicago, and New York. Additionally, several private/DO schools in California.

Members don't see this ad.
 
Last edited:
I am currently in a dilemma regarding my MCAT score. I have a current score of 503 (58th percentile; first attempt) and have registered for a second test on August 2nd (score will be released on September 2nd). I am unsure whether I should apply early as possible with my current score, or wait to submit my application, retake the exam and submit my application once my second score is released (one month before most deadlines).

Background:
- Filipino, male, 30 y/o
- CA Resident, currently stationed in Hawaii
- grew up with family hardship; first-generation college graduate
- will be 6 years Active Duty Navy (getting out Jan 2025)
- Navy hospital corpsman (field/combat medic); worked as a nursing assistant and anesthesia technician before joining the military

Education:
- Graduated San Jose State University with BS Kinesiology.
- DIY post-bacc for prerequisites
- 3.03 cGPA and a 3.50 sGPA

Prospective schools:
All public universities throughout California, Hawaii, Chicago, and New York. Additionally, several private/DO schools in California.
 
Last edited:
I am currently in a dilemma regarding my MCAT score. I have a current score of 503 (58th percentile; first attempt) and have registered for a second test on August 2nd (score will be released on September 2nd). I am unsure whether I should apply during early admission with my current score, or retake the exam and apply during regular admission.

Background:
- Filipino, male, 30 y/o
- CA Resident, currently stationed in Hawaii
- grew up with family hardship; first-generation college graduate
- will be 6 years Active Duty Navy (getting out Jan 2025)
- Navy hospital corpsman (field/combat medic); worked as a nursing assistant and anesthesia technician before joining the military

Education:
- Graduated San Jose State University with BS Kinesiology.
- DIY post-bacc for prerequisites
- 3.03 cGPA and a 3.50 sGPA

Prospective schools:
All public universities throughout California, Hawaii, Chicago, and New York. Additionally, several private/DO schools in California.
I do not recommend applying ED (early decision) to medical schools because it doesn’t work like in college, where it might give you a better shot.
For med school you would only be able to apply to one school until they make a decision on you, on October 1.
If what you meant was submitting your application now with your current score, and planning to study and retake in the next few months, that would work.
 
Members don't see this ad :)
I do not recommend applying ED (early decision) to medical schools because it doesn’t work like in college, where it might give you a better shot.
For med school you would only be able to apply to one school until they make a decision on you, on October 1.
If what you meant was submitting your application now with your current score, and planning to study and retake in the next few months, that would work.
I see, I wasn't aware that I would only be able to apply to one school for early decision. My other concern is that if I attempt to retake it and my score is not significantly better, this would be seen negatively by the schools.
 
I see, I wasn't aware that I would only be able to apply to one school for early decision. My other concern is that if I attempt to retake it and my score is not significantly better, this would be seen negatively by the schools.
503 would be ok for DO schools and your military service could be a boost as well
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user
Will you be applying as a Hawaii resident ?
UH has a strict criteria for resident status. Unfortunately, I don’t classify as a resident even though I own a home there. My home of record is California so I would be applying as a California resident.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these DO schools with your current MCAT of 503:
TUCOM-CA
WESTERN
TUNCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
UIWSOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
NOVA
DMU-COM
CUSOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
MU-COM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
For MD schools you could try these:
Vermont
Dartmouth
Quinnipiac
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
East Tennessee
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
You may be able to add more schools in September depending on your MCAT score.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users
Top