feedback on my school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fldoctorgirl

IM PGY-1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
[stats removed for anonymity]

In-state MD schools:
UF
UCF
FSU
UM
FAU
FIU
USF

Out-of-state MD schools:
NYMC
Albany
GW
Drexel
Temple
Quinnipiac
Jefferson
Oakland
Penn State
Tulane

DO schools:
Nova
LECOM
PCOM
DMUCOM
KCOM
NYITCOM

I was given advice to aim to have at least 8 DO schools, but there aren't that many and I am struggling finding ones with stats that match mine, as well as ones that are in locations I would actually want to be in. I am planning on applying to both LECOMs and both PCOMs, so I'm not sure if that makes my total 8 or not or if they count as the same.

If anyone has any suggestions on schools to add (or remove), both MD or DO, I would appreciate it!

I've sought out a lot of help on these forums already since receiving my score, and I appreciate all of the responses I've received. Sorry if you're all annoyed with my tagging you in these posts! @gyngyn @Goro @Faha

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am considering adding Georgetown (505 is 10th percentile), St. Louis, and Loyola. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly that 123 is killer, and even that 125 can hurt. Honestly, shoot your shot but I would try to continue to study for chem phys and Bio with intentions of an mcat retake in the future

Honestly that 123 is killer, and even that 125 can hurt. Honestly, shoot your shot but I would try to continue to study for chem phys and Bio with intentions of an mcat retake in the future
I'm focusing my attention on DO schools, where I have gotten feedback that I'm a competitive applicant.

I'm not opposed to a retake in the future if necessary, but I wouldn't say it's a "killer" exactly. I have a good app otherwise, so I am going to try for this cycle and see what happens. Worst case scenario, I'll retake and apply next cycle.

I'm focusing my attention on DO schools, where I have gotten feedback that I'm a competitive applicant.

I'm not opposed to a retake in the future if necessary, but I wouldn't say it's a "killer" exactly. I have a good app otherwise, so I am going to try for this cycle and see what happens. Worst case scenario, I'll retake and apply next cycle.
Respect. Wish you the best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should add more DO schools and less OOS MD. I'm confident in your stats but the OOS MD schools are low yield. I think it's better to spend money on more DOs. Consider RVU-Utah, Lincoln Memorial, VCOM-all campuses, Burrell

I think you should add more DO schools and less OOS MD. I'm confident in your stats but the OOS MD schools are low yield. I think it's better to spend money on more DOs. Consider RVU-Utah, Lincoln Memorial, VCOM-all campuses, Burrell
I added a few more DO schools so I'm applying to 8 in total now. I just had trouble finding ones that were in locations that I liked/could see myself in. I don't really want to go to school in a rural setting. I'm keeping most of the OOS MD schools because I'm fortunate that money isn't an issue and I want to maximize my chances, even though I know it's low-yield.

Do you have any thoughts about RVU? I saw it was for-profit and it immediately scared me away...

I added a few more DO schools so I'm applying to 8 in total now. I just had trouble finding ones that were in locations that I liked/could see myself in. I don't really want to go to school in a rural setting. I'm keeping most of the OOS MD schools because I'm fortunate that money isn't an issue and I want to maximize my chances, even though I know it's low-yield.

Do you have any thoughts about RVU? I saw it was for-profit and it immediately scared me away...

From what I've heard RVU although for profit has consistently provided a great program for their students. Sdn loves to talk about how great their match lists are. They also have far fewer problems than some of the other DO schools out there. As far as not wanting to go to a rural setting. I understand. I'm super liberal so it turns me off too but at the same time we have to be open minded. It's only for four years and would you let your preferences in setting limit your chances of getting in?

From what I've heard RVU although for profit has consistently provided a great program for their students. Sdn loves to talk about how great their match lists are. They also have far fewer problems than some of the other DO schools out there. As far as not wanting to go to a rural setting. I understand. I'm super liberal so it turns me off too but at the same time we have to be open minded. It's only for four years and would you let your preferences in setting limit your chances of getting in?
I'm actually researching RVU right now and it looks awesome, I think I'm going to add it, but the Colorado campus rather than the Utah one.

I know it's only 4 years, but I grew up in New York and then Miami so I think the shock of going total rural would be way too much for me haha. I have 9 DO schools on my list now, so I think somewhere should bite. If not, I'm graduating in 3 years instead of 4, so I wouldn't be behind if I had to take a gap year and retake the MCAT. I'm just gonna hope for the best this cycle and see what happens!

@bengirlxD I creeped on your MDApps and we seem to have fairly similar stats, so good luck to us both! I'll be rooting for you :)

I'm actually researching RVU right now and it looks awesome, I think I'm going to add it, but the Colorado campus rather than the Utah one.

I know it's only 4 years, but I grew up in New York and then Miami so I think the shock of going total rural would be way too much for me haha. I have 9 DO schools on my list now, so I think somewhere should bite. If not, I'm graduating in 3 years instead of 4, so I wouldn't be behind if I had to take a gap year and retake the MCAT. I'm just gonna hope for the best this cycle and see what happens!

AWESOME! I'm rooting for you as well!

EDIT: I grew up in NY and then moved to the ATL so I feel you