NotYY4U

2+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Fairly non-trad adult with some decent life experience
cGPA: 3.59
sGPA: 3.14 (damn you removal of grade replacement!)
nsGPA: 3.8
MCAT: 498 (the transition from 3rd party to AAMC was harder than I anticipated)
EC's are quite varied and continuing to improve with several tied directly to my top choice state DO school.

Plan:
Taking a couple upper division sciences, if all "goes to plan" I will be:
cGPA: 3.6+
sGPA: 3.2-3.3
nsGPA:3.8
MCAT: retake this thing and do it right this time around! Aim as high as possible of course but realistically lets hit 500-505
Continue to improve EC's
Apply for 2019 to only DO programs

Thoughts?

bears1992

2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I think you've got a realistic goal for DO. You're MCAT is the only thing holding you back from DO given a large school list. I got an acceptance and I have a worse GPA than you and just a slightly better MCAT (see signature below). I was in your shoes two years ago and I thought I had screwed myself out of any chance to get into med school.

You could probably get you sGPA up high enough for MD with a year and a half of coursework and a 508+ MCAT.

Good Luck!

OP
N

NotYY4U

2+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I think you've got a realistic goal for DO. You're MCAT is the only thing holding you back from DO given a large school list. I got an acceptance and I have a worse GPA than you and just a slightly better MCAT (see signature below). I was in your shoes two years ago and I thought I had screwed myself out of any chance to get into med school.

You could probably get you sGPA up high enough for MD with a year and a half of coursework and a 508+ MCAT.

Good Luck!
Hey thanks!

That was my thought exactly, that MCAT is what is keeping most doors closed at the moment. Glad to see you have an acceptance so far!

About the Ads

djtallahassee

2+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
If you start studying now, there is no reason you can't do better than at 505. You basically have until Jan.

OP
N

NotYY4U

2+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
If you start studying now, there is no reason you can't do better than at 505. You basically have until Jan.
My thoughts exactly! I've done the MCAT before now, its not new, you know what to expect. I know hell of a lot more than I did before I went in the first time now its polishing up the areas that weighed me down.

Reactions: djtallahassee

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Fairly non-trad adult with some decent life experience
cGPA: 3.59
sGPA: 3.14 (damn you removal of grade replacement!)
nsGPA: 3.8
MCAT: 498 (the transition from 3rd party to AAMC was harder than I anticipated)
EC's are quite varied and continuing to improve with several tied directly to my top choice state DO school.

Plan:
Taking a couple upper division sciences, if all "goes to plan" I will be:
cGPA: 3.6+
sGPA: 3.2-3.3
nsGPA:3.8
MCAT: retake this thing and do it right this time around! Aim as high as possible of course but realistically lets hit 500-505
Continue to improve EC's
Apply for 2019 to only DO programs

Thoughts?
Definitely a good plan. Good luck OP!

About the Ads