USMLE Feedback on Step2 plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

backpackpalsy

Reaction score
USMD in 3rd year considering emergency medicine vs radiology. I finish third year with an EM rotation in May. Thinking of fitting in another elective in EM or something before taking a month off for CS and CK in July or August. I figure my EM rotations will prepare me well for CS and all my knowledge will be fresh for CK. I also kind of just want to get them both over with so I can enjoy 4th year. The other option I'm considering is pushing them back and taking a month off during interview season so I don't have to ask for time off for interviews while I'm studying. My main concern is that I plan to apply to competitive programs on the coasts and want to make sure I'm not screened out of interviews because I haven't taken Step 2 yet. Let me know if any more info would be helpful.

A few stats:
  • 258 on step 1 with 3.5 weeks dedicated
  • 1 H, 2 HP in clinical rotations so far

Members don't see this ad.

Let me know what you hear about being screened out for not taking step 2. I have been hearing advice to not take step 2 if you did well in step 1 till you submit your application

Let me know what you hear about being screened out for not taking step 2. I have been hearing advice to not take step 2 if you did well in step 1 till you submit your application
Exactly what I've been hearing too. I think some programs can even filter our your application if they don't see your Step 2. I think holding off on taking Step 2 was a thing of the past

But it's a very unclear thing. PD in neurosurgery told me that he doesn't look at step 2 if you did well on step 1 but again hard to say how it is across program and different specialities. Wish there was more clarity so I can make the decision on whether to focus on research vs sub I vs step 2 once clerkships are over.

Last edited by a moderator: