Feeling a bit anxious now that my secondaries are submitted - is this list okay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fd25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished submitting 29 applications, and I ended up taking 2 or 3 schools off my list along the way. I think I am panicking a little bit now that I am done with secondaries and I know that all I can do is sit and wait. I am suddenly worrying that my list is somehow inadequate, and I would love some reassurance or feedback if anyone is willing.

Brief stats: bolded stuff is new for reapplication
- 2020 graduate
- Reapplicant (originally applied for 2021 entry)
- MCAT: 2020, 511 (126/130/127/128); 2022, 515 (131/128/127/129)
- cGPA: 3.63
- sGPA: 3.56
- Residency: Born and raised in GA, went to a well-known college in NYC, back in Georgia now since 2021
- Research: worked full time as a tech, one mid-author pub, plus one undergrad research experience and one paid internship (~2200hrs total)
- Clinical hours: 75hr shadowing, 275hr paid EMT, 100hrs clinical training for EMT-A, new job starting 8/22/22 as a medical assistant full time for upcoming year
- Clinical volunteering: 135hr hospital volunteer, 20hr hospice volunteer (continuing this year)
- Non-clinical volunteering: 60hr crisis text line at time of application (continuing this year)
- Leadership: president of global brigades for all four years, planned and attended trips abroad twice
- ORM
- "unique things": young non-biological second mom going through second parent adoption and navigating young motherhood (LGBTQ stuff discussed on some applications). I've been involved since she was a baby and she is now 4. Didn't discuss this on my first app.

Here is the list of places I applied. Please let me know if it is trash :)

** I intentionally do not have NY schools on my list, as my family and I truly do not want to move back

Wake Forest
Thomas Jefferson
NOVA
Pitt
OUWB
Northwestern
Tulane
Geisinger
Cincinatti
Mercer
WashU
MCW
Vermont
Emory
Virginia Commonwealth
Wayne State
Case Western
Drexel
Carver (Iowa)
Penn State
Medical College of Georgia
Temple
Western Michigan
UC Irvine
EVMS
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Saint Louis
Indiana

Members don't see this ad.

Northwestern, IU, WASHU, GEISINGER were donations.

Low nonclinical volunteering hrs might be an issue?

If you're LGBT, any service to LGBT communities? If not, suggest getting g some in. I fear that there are a lot of unethical applicants out there who suddenly discover their gender orientation when applying to med school

Otherwise, list is good.

Northwestern, IU, WASHU, GEISINGER were donations.

Otherwise, list is good
That is fair! Thank you for your reply. Do you think the list has enough schools on it/do you think there is a fair shot at least based off of what I presented here? It also depends on my writing and other factors for sure.

Edit: just saw your question about volunteering with lgbt communities. No volunteering with the community specifically, but I’ve dealt with a lot of gender and sexual identity crises as a crisis text line volunteer. I definitely could see how some people might not be truthful about sexual orientation for application’s sake, but that’s definitely not the case for me. I’ve been “out” for about 5 years now and with my partner for the last 4! :) just didn’t discuss my being a parent specifically on my first application.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That is fair! Thank you for your reply. Do you think the list has enough schools on it/do you think there is a fair shot at least based off of what I presented here? It also depends on my writing and other factors for sure.
I think that you're good in your list.
Edit: just saw your question about volunteering with lgbt communities. No volunteering with the community specifically, but I’ve dealt with a lot of gender and sexual identity crises as a crisis text line volunteer.
I hope that you mentioned these in your app! Definitely worthwhile discussion fodder at interviews
I definitely could see how some people might not be truthful about sexual orientation for application’s sake, but that’s definitely not the case for me. I’ve been “out” for about 5 years now and with my partner for the last 4! :) just didn’t discuss my being a parent specifically on my first application.

Moved to WAMC. I would consider UCI a donation too personally. That still leaves 25 or so good schools though and your chances seem good on paper at MCG.