Feeling depressed, yet again...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bme94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I really need to know if there's the slightest bit of hope for me. I'm feeling extremely depressed at the moment, and I'm really embarrassed to share this, but I need to do know what to do from here and if I have even the slightest chance. I took the MCAT last month, and got back my scores today. I received my 2nd 499. Surprisingly my C/P went up by a lot, but the rest of my sections weren't fantastic.

I was shocked. I thought I was going to be in the range of a 500-502, (was scoring 505 on most practice tests) so I made a school list based off of that. I was applying to osteopathic schools this cycle, and I was SO excited about it. Now, all I feel like doing is crying. I don't think I can sit through this exam a 3rd time.

Is there any school that I may have a chance at? My stats are as follows
cGPA: 3.71, sGPA: 3.61 (this is without any grade replacement whatsoever).
500 hours as a volunteer, clinical research assistant
400 hours of non-clinical research, one of the authors of an abstract
300 hours as a medical scribe in the ED (have scribed with both DOs and MDs)
20 hours of additional shadowing
I also have some clubs I have volunteered through, and additional volunteering.
5 letters total, one of them being the committee letter.

I know most of you are probably going to say I should just quit and look into podiatry, but I want this more than anything else in the world. If you guys have any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. I'm already on a gap year and really don't want to have to take a second one. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Post this on WAMC and see if you get an answer from @Goro

I personally think you may be okay for DO. Your GPA is great and your MCAT is not considered too horrible. You biggest issue is probably that if you apply now, you don't have the advantage of being early, which is something you would have really benefited from. Have you submitted your primary yet? Pre-wrote any secondary yet? If yes to both questions, then just apply this year and try to be complete at least 20 schools before this month ends. Don't be sad, your GPA will go a very long way in this process. Good luck!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
While a 499 will get you screened out of several places, you have a shot. But you need to apply like yesterday, are your transcripts verified through AACOMAS yet? If not get on it, and apply to the new schools. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I personally think you may be okay for DO. Your GPA is great and your MCAT is not considered too horrible. You biggest issue is probably that if you apply now, you don't have the advantage of being early, which is something you would have really benefited from. Have you submitted your primary yet? Pre-wrote any secondary yet? If yes to both questions, then just apply this year and try to be complete at least 20 schools before this month ends. Don't be sad, your GPA will go a very long way in this process. Good luck!!

Yes, I have. I started working on secondaries by using the prompts people put on here.

While a 499 will get you screened out of several places, you have a shot. But you need to apply like yesterday, are your transcripts verified through AACOMAS yet? If not get on it, and apply to the new schools. Best of luck!

Yes, my transcripts and letters of rec have been sent to the AACOMAS.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, I have. I started working on secondaries by using the prompts people put on here.
Then get off sdn NOW and start sending out those applications! Do it now, literally.

Then get off sdn NOW and start sending out those applications! Do it now, literally.

Ok! Just have to skim over a couple of things, everything else is set.

Yes, my transcripts and letters of rec have been sent to the AACOMAS.

Then you've definitely got a shot, let us know how it turns out for you! I suspect you'll get some Interviews

Apply broadly and especially target the newest schools.

Skip the Touros, AZCOM, CCOM, PCOM, KCU, CUSOM, and Western.

I can't recommend LUCOM or Wm Carey .

Hi,

I really need to know if there's the slightest bit of hope for me. I'm feeling extremely depressed at the moment, and I'm really embarrassed to share this, but I need to do know what to do from here and if I have even the slightest chance. I took the MCAT last month, and got back my scores today. I received my 2nd 499. Surprisingly my C/P went up by a lot, but the rest of my sections weren't fantastic.

I was shocked. I thought I was going to be in the range of a 500-502, (was scoring 505 on most practice tests) so I made a school list based off of that. I was applying to osteopathic schools this cycle, and I was SO excited about it. Now, all I feel like doing is crying. I don't think I can sit through this exam a 3rd time.

Is there any school that I may have a chance at? My stats are as follows
cGPA: 3.71, sGPA: 3.61 (this is without any grade replacement whatsoever).
500 hours as a volunteer, clinical research assistant
400 hours of non-clinical research, one of the authors of an abstract
300 hours as a medical scribe in the ED (have scribed with both DOs and MDs)
20 hours of additional shadowing
I also have some clubs I have volunteered through, and additional volunteering.
5 letters total, one of them being the committee letter.

I know most of you are probably going to say I should just quit and look into podiatry, but I want this more than anything else in the world. If you guys have any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. I'm already on a gap year and really don't want to have to take a second one. Thank you.

Apply broadly and especially target the newest schools.

Skip the Touros, AZCOM, CCOM, PCOM, KCU, CUSOM, and Western.

I can't recommend LUCOM or Wm Carey .

Thank you very much for your input, Goro. Would you recommend schools such as NSU, LECOM, and UNECOM as well?

Apply to ACOM, UIWSOM, and ARCOM right away and I would say you have a shot. Don't waste any more time.

LECOM for sure. UNECOM: only if you live in the Northeast. Nova is a hard one to advise on.

I'm a NY resident. So it would be worth applying to UNECOM with my stats?

I didn't read any previous posts, so I am sorry if I am just reiterating what has already been said..

Listen, I know of some schools that accepted students with low 490s (one school in particular said they took a score as low as a 492). Your GPAs are magnificent and your ECs are pretty great. Apply to as many schools as you possibly can. You are fortunate to be in one of the early years for the new MCAT for I was told by an ADCOM that they are unsure on how to judge the scores, therefore they placed more emphasis on the other credentials. This may not be true for every school, though. My school converts it to the old MCAT score for comparison until the new score is the only one circulating. APPLY BROADLY! You should get a few IIs for sure and with a personable approach in those IIs I would be willing to bet you get in somewhere.

Hahaha strongly concur and loled hard at the bolded :laugh::laugh:

I didn't read any previous posts, so I am sorry if I am just reiterating what has already been said..

Listen, I know of some schools that accepted students with low 490s (one school in particular said they took a score as low as a 492). Your GPAs are magnificent and your ECs are pretty great. Apply to as many schools as you possibly can. You are fortunate to be in one of the early years for the new MCAT for I was told by an ADCOM that they are unsure on how to judge the scores, therefore they placed more emphasis on the other credentials. This may not be true for every school, though. My school converts it to the old MCAT score for comparison until the new score is the only one circulating. APPLY BROADLY! You should get a few IIs for sure and with a personable approach in those IIs I would be willing to bet you get in somewhere.

Thank you for the encouragement! I applied to 14...is that enough? The school that I'm hoping will give me a chance is LECOM.