Feeling down after my MD Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole argument comes down to the very fact that we are individuals who should never be evaluated based on our skin color, sexual orientation, eye colors, height, weight, religious believes, and dietary choices.
Be careful. Some on this site will try to cancel you for saying this.

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
Serious question: below are two average MCAT scores by race/ethnicity (from Table A-18). How do you explain the discrepancy?

Black: 497.4
White: 507.9
I don’t want to open another can of worms here. But I don’t believe the difference reflects anything innate at all. Rather it’s all due to external forces. However, admission is not the place to rectify and normalize the difference. What we need to do is address the root causes instead of sweeping this under the rug or rather kicking the can down the road. We as a nation are so racially divided and all we know is applying a bandaid prn.

In short, the difference is due to systematic racism a minority would experience from the time of birth… but we don’t care about leveling the playing field at all for everyone from the get go. I have to admit that there’s no way you can change that as long as schools are funded by local taxes and there’s no national standard curriculum. It’s the double edged sword of federalism.

Reactions: 4 users
Be careful. Some on this site will try to cancel you for saying this.
I would invite their request and argue for the point that we should give quota based on dietary choices since I am sure vegan patients would feel more comfortable seeing a vegan doctor. How about a Buddhist patient would feel more comfortable seeing a Buddhist doctor. The list goes on and on. It just shows you the absurdity of the concordance argument used to support race based admission and the quota idea. Try to convince me why we shouldn’t do the aforementioned if we should consider race.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would invite their request and argue for the point that we should give quota based on dietary choices since I am sure vegan patients would feel more comfortable seeing a vegan doctor. How about a Buddhist patient would feel more comfortable seeing a Buddhist doctor. The list goes on and on. It just shows you the absurdity of the concordance argument used to support race based admission and the quota idea. Try to convince me why we shouldn’t do the aforementioned if we should consider race.
I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with you lol

I was recently on an ED shift, and the family demanded a black doctor. We did not have one available, so they called patient advocacy on us. My attending asked them if they wanted her to come back in blackface to make the situation better. I nearly died from shock. This is getting out of hand when people in emergency settings think they have a right to discriminate against their doctor.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with you lol

I was recently on an ED shift, and the family demanded a black doctor. We did not have one available, so they called patient advocacy on us. My attending asked them if they wanted her to come back in blackface to make the situation better. I nearly died from shock. This is getting out of hand when people in emergency settings think they have a right to discriminate against their doctor.
Yeah. I will call this pure ignorance.

Reactions: 1 user
Dead on arrival. Correction: your application would be DOA at T20 schools. Also, find it amusing for someone to be so wrapped up with prestige with a 502 MCAT. Your MCAT is barely average and you’re indeed extremely fortunate just to be accepted. If you want T20, drop your acceptance and reapply. No one here will empathize with you. You’re in an extremely envious and fortunate position. And you’re whining about T20 schools.

DO Ortho attending btw, no one cares about where you went to Medical school, not even if you’re MD or DO once you’re out. I am busier and make more money than all of my MD partners, as a lowly DO. So much for prestige.
Actually, a 502 score is some 9 basis points below the national avg for MD acceptees.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.