feeling frustrated...anyone else

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommy2three

PGY-1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
it is not that i do not want this with all my heart because i do...more than anything in the world.
it is not that i think i would not make a good doctor becuase i know i would make a great doctor.
it is that i am getting frustrated with the process and feeling like i am banging my head against the wall to get nowhere.
i am begining to feel like anything i do only makes the situation worse instead of better.
i am fighting what has been called by numerous allopathic deans of admissions an "uphill battle".
i am learning what i want may not be reasonable...may not be attainable...may never be.
i just want to be a doctor...i just want someone to give me a chance...i want someone to see past my stupid mistakes 10 yrs ago and look at me NOW...the dedication i have now....i am NOT the person i was 10 yrs ago...i am most definetly NOT the student i was 10 yrs ago.
anyone else fighting the good fight and feeling this way??
(if you are interested in the full story, i posted the cliff notes version in a hello note on the non-trad board :) )

Members don't see this ad.

mommy2three said:
it is not that i do not want this with all my heart because i do...more than anything in the world.
it is not that i think i would not make a good doctor becuase i know i would make a great doctor.
it is that i am getting frustrated with the process and feeling like i am banging my head against the wall to get nowhere.
i am begining to feel like anything i do only makes the situation worse instead of better.
i am fighting what has been called by numerous allopathic deans of admissions an "uphill battle".
i am learning what i want may not be reasonable...may not be attainable...may never be.
i just want to be a doctor...i just want someone to give me a chance...i want someone to see past my stupid mistakes 10 yrs ago and look at me NOW...the dedication i have now....i am NOT the person i was 10 yrs ago...i am most definetly NOT the student i was 10 yrs ago.
(if you are interested in the full story, i posted the cliff notes version in a hello note on the non-trad board :) )

I know exactly how you feel. I think it is a symptom of everything that is wrong with the US healthcare system today. People who don't really like people, aren't really sure they want to be physicians, and don't have any social skills at all are accepted left and right but older students who, in my opinion, assuming we meet certain minimum intellectual criteria, will make far better doctors, are rejected because we aren't the future of stem cell research and all we want to do is help heal the sick. It is too bad. Hang in there though. We will all make it eventually, and I am sure our future patients will love us and be glad we didn't give up. :)

I definitely can relate....I want this more than anything....I got rejected from all my schools the first time around and have worked even harder than before for this time. Most days I feel motivated and driven to do this...but there are still some when I just want to scream.....I just want a chance.....I know I can succeed if someone would just let me.....hang in there.....what's meant to be will be....we just have to patient....good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we all get frustrated from time to time. And I think it's perfectly normal. Do I wish I got in last year? Of course. But for whatever reason, I didn't. I am a firm believer in that everything happens for a reason, although the reason may not always be so clear to us at first. So that's what I'm believing. Besides, my psychic says I'm gonna be a doctor doing something either with surgery or trauma, so if the psychic says it, it must be so :)

Hey guys. I'm over from the DO forum, but should post here...I applied to 18 allopathic schools 2 years ago, got 4 interviews and no acceptances. I got a 24 on my MCAT with a breakdown of 11V 8BS 5PS R. The PS really killed me. Several months after my rejections I got very sick, and the illness was really nasty for about a year...more under control now. I couldn't make it through the application process last year and now am applying to DO schools.

I'll tell you something, though. I think DO is better for me than MD schools would be, especially after I did some more research and talked with more DOs. One of the DOs was the guy who helped me in the beginning stages of my illness and he was just amazing. THEN, I proceeded to meet the man I am going to marry. And I never would have met him if I'd hauled off to medical school when I thought I should have.

So I consider myself extremely lucky to have been rejected the first time. I think there is something to be said for rejection. I feel infinitely more confident and much wiser these days...and I'm sure many of you feel the same way!

Here's hoping we'll achieve it this year.

I'm having a frustrating day too...spent all day in line at the university to change my courses to grad, missed lunch, and then started feeling frustrated about the whole medical school thing.
But I know something that makes it all better (at least for a little while)

Dark Chocolate!!!!!

I saw an interview on tv about medical school acceptance policy. Medical school admissions are just now realizing that to base acceptance strictly on academics doesn't produce the best doctors. Instead they want to turn their focus onto people who they believe are more well rounded. Hopefully this shift in focus will allow the down to earth people become wonderful doctors and weed out those ultrahigh ego's that shouldn't be practicing medicine. So I incourage you to keep trying and to not give up. I wish you the best of luck.

Hey guys I am a neurology resident just finishing up my residency. many years ago when I applied, I got all the same advice that you guys recieved.
"up hill battle," " not sure if MCAt score are high enough" yada yada... I applied more than once, and got accepted to a great medical school in the US ( a state school... to boot). Got through medical school and got accepted to an IVY league residency program. So Don't listen to any one about whether you are qualified, smart enough.... It is all about tenacity...if you want it bad enough you can do it. You can get in and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I gotta say, getting your first interview really helps you stop feeling frustrated. Last year, I didn't have any, this year, I got one from my top choice, and I'll be there on Thursday! Just hang in there and keep on truckin.