You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Feeling Hopeless...did I just ruin my life?
Started by 700003
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
As a student who has never gotten an A in the basic pre-req science courses (except physics), what can I do to prove to adcoms that I know my stuff? To clarify, my grades are:
Biology 1 and 2 with labs: B+ in both
General Chem. 1 and 2 with labs: B+ in Gen. chem 1 and B- in Gen. chem 2
Organic Chem. 1 and 2 with labs: B+ in Organic 1 and possibly a B- in Organic 2 🙁
Physics 1 and 2 with labs: A in both
I know this looks REALLY bad because it is showing that I am less than average at best when it comes to science. Truth is, the bad grades were more due to lack of focus than aptitude for science.
I am taking Genetics right now and am close to getting an A. I also plan to take Microbiology, Biochemistry, and Immunology (or another upper-divsion bio. course like physiology). On top of that, I am a neuroscience major so I will be taking classes like cellular and pharmacological neuroscience, brain and behavior etc.
My current sGPA is 3.45, but my sGPA with only the pre-reqs is 3.35 (which is terrible I know). I am only a sophomore with a ton of science/math classes to go so I think I will be able to raise my overall sGPA to a 3.6+ provided I ace them. However, my pre-requisite sGPA will stay at those B's...
Would top medical schools reject me based on the fact that I did not fare well in the basics -the pre-reqs- even if I got all A's in genetics, micro, biochem, immuno, etc? Do I need to do an SMP or post-bacc and retake all these classes?
Lastly, has anyone been in my situation (with hardly A's in pre-reqs) and still got into a top 20/50 medical school?
I would really appreciate any
responses! Thank you.
Take a nap dude
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pre-allo is more dramatic than normal lately. Never would have guessed.
I think most people here would recommend doing a second degree in the sciences (4 years) and then a 2 year master's degree program to show med schools you have what it takes to succeed
D
deleted407021
You will be fine. Worse than your grades showing a perceived inadequacy in science, this thread of your's demonstrates a lack of understanding and maturity. As if your life is the same as your grades or a spot in a school you believe to be prestigious. 🙄
There is no such thing as 'prereq sGPA', just sGPA and cGPA. You have plenty of time to raise your grades and improve your GPA's. If you do well on the MCAT and in upper level science, then any doubt regarding your background science (prereq) will be eliminated. For now just worry about doing well. Do not think about post-bacs, do not think about specific med schools ('top' schools, etc.).
There is no such thing as 'prereq sGPA', just sGPA and cGPA. You have plenty of time to raise your grades and improve your GPA's. If you do well on the MCAT and in upper level science, then any doubt regarding your background science (prereq) will be eliminated. For now just worry about doing well. Do not think about post-bacs, do not think about specific med schools ('top' schools, etc.).
Listen to this OP. This man is a fricking bear.
Pre-allo is more dramatic than normal lately. Never would have guessed.
Nothing brings out the neuroticism more than a few days before a bunch of cumulative exams and the sense that everything is crashing down right in front of your eyes. #finalsweek
D
deleted407021
Dont post pictures of yourself IRL. Protect your anonymity.
Dont post pictures of yourself IRL. Protect your anonymity.
If you had a face like this, you would share it with the world
D
deleted407021
@Oso
I don't want to be offensive, but all y'all bears look alike to me.
I don't want to be offensive, but all y'all bears look alike to me.
@Oso
I don't want to be offensive, but all y'all bears look alike to me.
yeah we all look sexayy
wait, what was this thread originally about?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted407021
Meh, IDK. Thoroughly derailed, sir.yeah we all look sexayy
wait, what was this thread originally about?
I can freakin' do anything man! I'm invincible!I'm on psych right now, and everyone on pre-allo seems manic
Is there such a dichotomy between common sense/general intelligence and scientific intelligence?
To OP - why do you want to go to a top medical school? Do you have any research experience? Do you really know you want to be a doctor or is your family pushing you? If you do know you want to be a doctor - how do you know? How have you tested it? Shadowing doesn't count.
To OP - why do you want to go to a top medical school? Do you have any research experience? Do you really know you want to be a doctor or is your family pushing you? If you do know you want to be a doctor - how do you know? How have you tested it? Shadowing doesn't count.
My current sGPA is 3.45, but my sGPA with only the pre-reqs is 3.35 (which is terrible I know). I am only a sophomore with a ton of science/math classes to go so I think I will be able to raise my overall sGPA to a 3.6+ provided I ace them. However, my pre-requisite sGPA will stay at those B's...
Would top medical schools reject me based on the fact that I did not fare well in the basics -the pre-reqs- even if I got all A's in genetics, micro, biochem, immuno, etc?
You can basically kiss your chances at "top medical schools" goodbye at this point, unless you get a 45 on the MCAT or cure cancer. However, you're still in a good position to get yourself accepted somewhere assuming you can bring your stats up and have good ECs.
You're comparing not getting into a top medical school with ruining your life...
Get it together OP
Get it together OP
Op, most people are thrilled to get into any medical school. If not getting into a top tier medical school is that devastating to you, then you probably have some serious self esteem issues that you're trying to patch over with your accomplishments. Chill the eff out. When you are working in the hospital, basically no one ever will ask where you went to med school. If you think your chances at some super competitive specialty are shot because of where your MD came from, that is also generally wrong. You need to just work on getting to the point where you can apply for the time being, and fixing whatever underlying self esteem and confidence issues would lead you to believe your life would be ruined were you to attend a lowly non top 20 med school.
This.Op, most people are thrilled to get into any medical school. If not getting into a top tier medical school is that devastating to you, then you probably have some serious self esteem issues that you're trying to patch over with your accomplishments. Chill the eff out. When you are working in the hospital, basically no one ever will ask where you went to med school. If you think your chances at some super competitive specialty are shot because of where your MD came from, that is also generally wrong. You need to just work on getting to the point where you can apply for the time being, and fixing whatever underlying self esteem and confidence issues would lead you to believe your life would be ruined were you to attend a lowly non top 20 med school.
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 800
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 5K