Feeling hopeless...:(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtuoso735

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from college more than half a year ago, and am in the process of studying for the MCAT and volunteering at various places so that I can apply for medical school in the summer. I didn't think seriously about what I wanted to do with my life until the last semester of college, thinking I would work in a lab or something since I majored in biology. Anyhow, after a lot of thought, I decided that I wanted to be a doctor. Sometimes, I just feel really depressed about the whole process; that I won't get into any medical school, that my efforts will just be wasted.

I thought I wanted to do research in ecology and evolution in graduate school, so my only EC's in college were research in those fields (and none of it was too extensive either). I didn't do any medically related EC's, or any EC's at all really other than the research. I do admit back in college, especially in the earlier years, I was still adjusting socially, and am naturally rather shy. I also have self-esteem issues, which were compounded by attending a top school when I came from modest background. My GPA is nothing spectacular, and like I said, my EC's are nonexistent (though I am working on them during the gap year).

I remember trying to look for a job during my senior year of college, but all I got were rejections (I realize a lot of my classmates had similar experiences, but it's still highly discouraging). Even now sometimes I'll go online and randomly try to look for a job, and my heart sinks because I know it probably won't happen. Biology degrees are useless.

I can't help feeling that I'm just wasting my time. I'm studying for the MCAT (at least I'm trying to...) and I'm volunteering at a few places, but what if it's not enough to apply this summer? I'll be wasting my time and my parents will be disappointed. I come from a poor family, and I don't know if they can help me much longer while I live off of them, trying to attain a dream that may be highly unattainable at best.

Anyone in a similar situation? Words of wisdom? Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I don't want be the bearer of bad news but maybe applying to med school this upcoming summer isn't the best option just yet. If you have a modest gpa, and minimal EC's, it might be better for you to spend another year getting more experience, maybe taking some classes to get your grades up and make sure you ROCK the MCAT. Applying to medical school is very expensive, so make sure you are completely ready to apply before committing. The 1st primary costs 160, each additional one is 32. Secondaries typically vary from about 50-120 per school. That adds up quick. My recommendation is you work on your app and make yourself the best candidate possible before applying. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Perhaps it's possible that you could do some volunteer work at a Research Lab. If you make connections, you may find a position that does pay or at the very least you could possibly apply for a research grant. It is my experience that the key to success is persistence and little else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated from college more than half a year ago, and am in the process of studying for the MCAT and volunteering at various places so that I can apply for medical school in the summer. I didn't think seriously about what I wanted to do with my life until the last semester of college, thinking I would work in a lab or something since I majored in biology. Anyhow, after a lot of thought, I decided that I wanted to be a doctor. Sometimes, I just feel really depressed about the whole process; that I won't get into any medical school, that my efforts will just be wasted.

I thought I wanted to do research in ecology and evolution in graduate school, so my only EC's in college were research in those fields (and none of it was too extensive either). I didn't do any medically related EC's, or any EC's at all really other than the research. I do admit back in college, especially in the earlier years, I was still adjusting socially, and am naturally rather shy. I also have self-esteem issues, which were compounded by attending a top school when I came from modest background. My GPA is nothing spectacular, and like I said, my EC's are nonexistent (though I am working on them during the gap year).

I remember trying to look for a job during my senior year of college, but all I got were rejections (I realize a lot of my classmates had similar experiences, but it's still highly discouraging). Even now sometimes I'll go online and randomly try to look for a job, and my heart sinks because I know it probably won't happen. Biology degrees are useless.

I can't help feeling that I'm just wasting my time. I'm studying for the MCAT (at least I'm trying to...) and I'm volunteering at a few places, but what if it's not enough to apply this summer? I'll be wasting my time and my parents will be disappointed. I come from a poor family, and I don't know if they can help me much longer while I live off of them, trying to attain a dream that may be highly unattainable at best.

Anyone in a similar situation? Words of wisdom? Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest.

Something that may help with the shyness/get you a job/give you the chance to learn more about how to help others is tutoring. You have a biology degree -- so I'm sure you could put that to good use and tutor someone who needs help in that area. Even if it's a junior high/high school student.

Also, don't put down what you do have going for you. Having a degree and research experience are wonderful accomplishments. It may not be everything you need to get into med school, but it's where you need to start. Take time to build up your ECs (perhaps consider not applying for a year or two) and in the meantime try to find a research technician or tutoring position.

Remember...don't give up! :)

It is a new year my friend. Do what the previous posters said and take some more classes to raise your gpa. Volunteer your ass off in the given time while studying hard for the MCAT. Proceed to win:), but tonight enjoy yourself!

Hey buddy, go ahead and read my past threads. I'm probably in a way worse of a position and have way less hope than you so you don't have it as bad as you think.

If you did go to a top school like you mentioned, then that should help you when applying to med school too.

Your fine if you take a post bac and get your gpa up along with some time for unique ecs. Oh and destroy the MCAT

Just do any ECs you can to make your application look better. If you need to do a SMP or a postbacc. Don't give up on yourself! If you don't make it going MD, then try DO. Good luck and don't give up!:)

Thanks for all the encouragement. A lot of people have suggested postbaccs, but how do people pay for those? My family can't really help with out with it, and I'm not sure what kind of loans I would be able to get for them. Also, if I do one for the 2012-2013 school year, I would apply to med school summer of 2013, which would leave an entire year for me during which I would have to start paying back the loans. What if I still can't find a job afterwards?

Also, would I have a better shot at getting into a DO school if I apply this year?

Thanks for all the encouragement. A lot of people have suggested postbaccs, but how do people pay for those? My family can't really help with out with it, and I'm not sure what kind of loans I would be able to get for them. Also, if I do one for the 2012-2013 school year, I would apply to med school summer of 2013, which would leave an entire year for me during which I would have to start paying back the loans. What if I still can't find a job afterwards?

Also, would I have a better shot at getting into a DO school if I apply this year?

What are your stats? You have no md app, and you haven't mentioned them. Im only a freshman undergrad, but from what I've learned thus far, no EC's, minimal research and mediocre grades= not good.

And im sorry, but this varsity blue character baffles me. Is she legit or just a total troll? You give the most stupid advice, in my opinion.

Dont be discouraged, you are nt even in the application process yet. You are at a good point, being able to decide how to build your application! Get good grades, #1 priority, then and MCAT #2 priority, then work on rounding out your ECs.

Try Toastmasters, a public speaking forum, to ork on your shyness. Just remember, everything you ever do is like nothing youve ever experienced - so why be shy about anything?

Yeah, if you're sure you want to do MD, don't be afraid to apply in 2013, and use 2012 to round out your clinical and research experience. But make sure you keep up your grades and figure out when to take and study for the MCAT.

I'm sorry to hear that you're not excited about the application process. :( My feeling is that if you're doing everything in your power to do medically-related ECs during your gap year and are studying hard for the MCAT, you'll be fine in the application process. As many others have said, it doesn't matter what discipline the research you did falls under. The good thing about AMCAS is that it allows you to put in 15 activities, awards, and honors from high school on, so you can simply list your current activities with everything else. (Correct me if I'm wrong, people.)

See here to determine your actual chances (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Ex2MjlBTDE0bXFXNGFZczZqYTZKb2c&hl=en_US#gid=0) and any of the stickied, statistics-based threads in the WAMC. Maybe check in the non-trad thread as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry to hear that you're not excited about the application process. :( My feeling is that if you're doing everything in your power to do medically-related ECs during your gap year and are studying hard for the MCAT, you'll be fine in the application process. As many others have said, it doesn't matter what discipline the research you did falls under. The good thing about AMCAS is that it allows you to put in 15 activities, awards, and honors from high school on, so you can simply list your current activities with everything else. (Correct me if I'm wrong, people.)

See here to determine your actual chances (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Ex2MjlBTDE0bXFXNGFZczZqYTZKb2c&hl=en_US#gid=0) and any of the stickied, statistics-based threads in the WAMC. Maybe check in the non-trad thread as well?

Unless you have significant awards or experiences, it's generally not a good idea to put down high school activities on your AMCAS...

Wrong.

To the OP: Admission committees for medical schools don't really care about anything you did in high school (unless you continued it through college).

Continue volunteering - you still have 6 months till June. If you have a good MCAT and GPA, apply this summer and see how it goes.

Wrong.

To the OP: Admission committees for medical schools don't really care about anything you did in high school (unless you continued it through college).

Continue volunteering - you still have 6 months till June. If you have a good MCAT and GPA, apply this summer and see how it goes.

Wrong.

According to LizzyM, they do consider high school accomplishments. E.g., below:
LizzyM
10K+ Member

05year.png

icon1.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by no beans
One last question if I may:

In high school I was a 3-year varsity player at a sport at the most competitive level, and was selected as co-captain senior year (work ethic and leadership skills), and at a school other than my own (my school didn't have varsity sports). I have only played intramurals in college (two teams- one coed), every semester. As a freshman I also coached and instructed underprivileged kids in this sport. Can I use this as a slot on its own under hobbies, mentioning all these things, or should I just list it as one of the hobbies in the hobbies section and forget the high school gig? This sport has been one of my passions since I was six. Thanks again.

One way I've seen this done is to list the activity as the name of the sport and list your role as "player, coach". Your contact is no big deal, maybe a coach or captain of your most recent team. Then in the description, say that you played on the xyz HS varsity team and served as co-captain in 20__. Then go on to say that you played intramural 20__-20__ and coached such&such team.

As for the label... hobby or athletics or whatever seems to fit; I don't remember the exact categories.

--
If the applicant was good enough to win admission to a top school, he/she likely did something that distinguished him/her in high school it may be listed. :D

And im sorry, but this varsity blue character baffles me. Is she legit or just a total troll? You give the most stupid advice, in my opinion.

Way to stay on topic. Who cares? Nobody is forcing you to follow advice dispensed by others, poppie. Focus on improving your own application.

Way to stay on topic. Who cares? Nobody is forcing you to follow advice dispensed by others, poppie. Focus on improving your own application.

Way to cut out my first paragraph, which WAS suitable to the topic at hand..

My point was, he said his gpa is "nothing spectacular", and he's having a hard time studying for the mcat. Not to mention the fact that he said himself that he has little to no clinical experience, shadowing and virtually non existent extracurriculars. So I just found it interesting that you suggested "going for it" in the upcoming app cycle. Even if he crams a whole bunch of the aforementioned areas into his resume in the next few months, couldn't adcoms perceive that to be strictly padding his application, and not doing it for the greater good of the public?The whole app process isn't necessarily cheap, so id like to think that he should take full advantage of a gap year or two to really build a solid foundation, so as to not potentially blow a substantial amount of money.

However, you're right. I shouldn't worry about what others say. Some of your posts just make me wonder though. I apologize.

Wrong.

According to LizzyM, they do consider high school accomplishments. E.g., below:
LizzyM
10K+ Member

05year.png

icon1.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by no beans
One last question if I may:

In high school I was a 3-year varsity player at a sport at the most competitive level, and was selected as co-captain senior year (work ethic and leadership skills), and at a school other than my own (my school didn't have varsity sports). I have only played intramurals in college (two teams- one coed), every semester. As a freshman I also coached and instructed underprivileged kids in this sport. Can I use this as a slot on its own under hobbies, mentioning all these things, or should I just list it as one of the hobbies in the hobbies section and forget the high school gig? This sport has been one of my passions since I was six. Thanks again.

One way I've seen this done is to list the activity as the name of the sport and list your role as "player, coach". Your contact is no big deal, maybe a coach or captain of your most recent team. Then in the description, say that you played on the xyz HS varsity team and served as co-captain in 20__. Then go on to say that you played intramural 20__-20__ and coached such&such team.

As for the label... hobby or athletics or whatever seems to fit; I don't remember the exact categories.

--
If the applicant was good enough to win admission to a top school, he/she likely did something that distinguished him/her in high school it may be listed. :D

Am I missing something here, or did he not CONTINUE THAT SPORT INTO COLLEGE VIA INTRAMURALS? As stoicjosher said, it seems HS activities are taken into account if they were continued into college..

All you can do is everything you can do to improve your situation.

I might like to add that medical school is not likely a place with a lot of people who are short on self-esteem. I'm thinking that if you don't do something about this then all of the rest of this work will be for naught. You need to be able to look in the mirror and identify your best attributes and be able to tell anyone why you deserve to be a physician. Do not neglect this while checking off the other typical boxes on your application journey.

--

Wrong.

Cheers.

Am I missing something here, or did he not CONTINUE THAT SPORT INTO COLLEGE VIA INTRAMURALS? As stoicjosher said, it seems HS activities are taken into account if they were continued into college..

Didnt see this post.. Thanks.

Edit: Also I think the only exception I have read about on SDN is the Intel Science Prize which you can add on your application.

Didnt see this post.. Thanks.

Edit: Also I think the only exception I have read about on SDN is the Intel Science Prize which you can add on your application.

No. Any high-performer who did something unique while in high school may put said accomplishment on their AMCAS. The Intel STS, ISEF, Presidential Scholar, USA/Intl Bio/Chem/Physics/Math Olympiads, published works, art exhibitions, engaged in community organizing at a high level, and the like are EC's worthy enough for both top colleges and medical school admissions. Keep in mind that only ~5% of the college-aged population has accomplished feats such as these.

Say, for example, someone won a medal from the IMO and was a math champ throughout high school but decided to major in philosophy and pursue premed coursework on the side in undergrad. Moreover, said applicant didn't even take a single course in math while in undergrad. The applicant could definitely list 1-2 of his/her most significant h/s accomplishments on his/her app.

Way to cut out my first paragraph, which WAS suitable to the topic at hand..

My point was, he said his gpa is "nothing spectacular", and he's having a hard time studying for the mcat. Not to mention the fact that he said himself that he has little to no clinical experience, shadowing and virtually non existent extracurriculars. So I just found it interesting that you suggested "going for it" in the upcoming app cycle. Even if he crams a whole bunch of the aforementioned areas into his resume in the next few months, couldn't adcoms perceive that to be strictly padding his application, and not doing it for the greater good of the public?The whole app process isn't necessarily cheap, so id like to think that he should take full advantage of a gap year or two to really build a solid foundation, so as to not potentially blow a substantial amount of money.

However, you're right. I shouldn't worry about what others say. Some of your posts just make me wonder though. I apologize.

1) Personal attacks and intent to inflame are against the TOS.
2) OP does have strong credentials, attended a top school, and simply needs to boost his confidence. If OP's LizzyM score is in a certain range and he puts forth a respectable amount of effort, I think OP will do well.

To the OP: See the stickied WAMC thread for statistics.

No. Any high-performer who did something unique while in high school may put said accomplishment on their AMCAS. The Intel STS, ISEF, Presidential Scholar, USA/Intl Bio/Chem/Physics/Math Olympiads, published works, art exhibitions, engaged in community organizing at a high level, and the like are EC's worthy enough for both top colleges and medical school admissions. Keep in mind that only ~5% of the college-aged population has accomplished feats such as these.

Say, for example, someone won a medal from the IMO and was a math champ throughout high school but decided to major in philosophy and pursue premed coursework on the side in undergrad. Moreover, said applicant didn't even take a single course in math while in undergrad. The applicant could definitely list 1-2 of his/her most significant h/s accomplishments on his/her app.

:smack:

Good luck.

Yes, you are able to list these activities on AMCAS but will an Adcom seriously consider these? I don't think they hold enough weight to significantly affect your application, especially to sway the decision of a committee. It is almost equivalent to, probably still even less than, a 6 year old recommendation letter or a shadow experience from 4 years ago. Basically a lifetime ago.

BUT, if you did continue an activity through college then that is completely different.

1) Personal attacks and intent to inflame are against the TOS.
2) OP does have strong credentials, attended a top school, and simply needs to boost his confidence. If OP's LizzyM score is in a certain range and he puts forth a respectable amount of effort, I think OP will do well.

To the OP: See the stickied WAMC thread for statistics.

1)you have to be kidding me...
2)just because he attended a good school will not award him a free pass to overlook every other requirement needed for matriculation. Tell me, what are his other credentials?
3)I look forward to hearing your next response. 19 yr old. Hmm....

It sounds like you are still young. Maybe what you're feeling now is a lack of hope because you don't know where to go or what to do and you still got debt you can't pay.

But worrying about the situation won't help you. First of all, explore life. Read about fields other than science. Try volunteering for a cause. Most of the jobs these days are through networks. So if you don't know anyone, then you will have to go out there and make yourself know. Offer to intern for free, get experience, and they could probably hire you full time. As you said, you have non-existing EC. So go get some.

If you're providing value, people will want you. Any action is better than none. But be careful about going to graduate school just because you don't know what to do. You can defer school debt when you're in school but once you graduate, and if no one hires you, you'll be in even worse financial shape.

So if you want to go to medical school and you want to pay down loans, try to get work in a doctor's office. Or in a hospital.

Here is a chances thread I made a few months back: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=849024

Right now, like I said, I'm volunteering at a hospital, a hospice, and tutoring at a local library, but I don't know if these things will be enough, especially if I just started a few months ago. :(

You got some solid advice there. Catalystik is a very knowledgeable adviser. Follow the advice you got there and you should be fine.

No. Good luck to you. After all, the best way to predict a person's future successes are to look at their previous successes. ;)

I'm in your signature, cool cool. And I love the peanuts.

that girl seems very condescending, sure hope she doesn't drag my name down with her!!

that girl seems very condescending, sure hope she doesn't drag my name down with her!!

She's only 19, but she has many published research presentations already (hmmm???), so don't doubt her intelligence or advice. Really, because if you don't, she'll report you to the mods!! :)

Just to clear this up- listing anything from high school that you have not continued into college, while not technically prohibited, is discouraged by medical schools. Certain secondary applications actually instruct you not to include anything prior to college. If it's an absolutely amazing activity *and* you have an extra space to fill on your AMCAS, then go for it. But honestly, I'd choose to list my hobbies on my AMCAS before I included anything from HS if that gives you an idea of how much weight it carries.

Side note: I did win one of said "medals" in high school [not trying to subtle brag- just hear me out] and I didn't include it on anything past my college app. In a job interview, I kind of feel like I'd get laughed at if it was on my resume, and I figured med school isn't much different.

Just to clear this up- listing anything from high school that you have not continued into college, while not technically prohibited, is discouraged by medical schools. Certain secondary applications actually instruct you not to include anything prior to college. If it's an absolutely amazing activity *and* you have an extra space to fill on your AMCAS, then go for it. But honestly, I'd choose to list my hobbies on my AMCAS before I included anything from HS if that gives you an idea of how much weight it carries.

Side note: I did win one of said "medals" in high school [not trying to subtle brag- just hear me out] and I didn't include it on anything past my college app. In a job interview, I kind of feel like I'd get laughed at if it was on my resume, and I figured med school isn't much different.
Why does your opinion on this matter trump everybody elses. LizzyM disagrees with you.

She's only 19, but she has many published research presentations already (hmmm???), so don't doubt her intelligence or advice. Really, because if you don't, she'll report you to the mods!! :)

I did well in the USABO and published a few things in high school. I'm not the only person on SDN who has accomplished things, you know. Other people have several first author publications as well. Giving presentations and contributing meaningfully on campus isn't hard to do.

At 18, you should try to do something that distinguishes you from your peers as well. OP should have more faith in himself. Seeing as you aren't even a premed and all, it might be a good idea to avoid being a jerk...
Disclaimer: im not a pre-med, but I feel in my heart that its my calling.

Last edited:

Olympiads trump STS and ISEF. LizzyM encourages prestigious award winners to list such things on their apps...

If OP went to a top school, he likely did something in h/s that set him apart from his peers. He'd do himself a disservice by not listing said distinguishable EC.

Last edited:
Olympiads trump STS and ISEF. LizzyM encourages prestigious award winners to list such things on their apps...

If OP went to a top school, he likely did something in h/s that set him apart from his peers. He'd do himself a disservice by not listing said distinguishable EC.

Why does your opinion on this matter trump everybody elses. LizzyM disagrees with you.

I'm not saying that it does... I'm just speaking from experience as someone on the other end of med school apps. Certain secondaries specifically state not to include activities from before college. If you are particularly proud of a high school activity then go ahead and use it (obviously it won't hurt), I'm just not sure how much it'll impress an adcom member among other very accomplished applicants. Somebody quote me the LizzyM post you're all talking about, because now I'm curious about her opinion.

Is anyone else genuinely interested in how the varsityblue and StoicJosher stories turn out? Hoping the best for them both, truly interested in them both as far as how all their aspirations turn out...

(seriously not sarcastic)

I'm not saying that it does... I'm just speaking from experience as someone on the other end of med school apps. Certain secondaries specifically state not to include activities from before college. If you are particularly proud of a high school activity then go ahead and use it (obviously it won't hurt), I'm just not sure how much it'll impress an adcom member among other very accomplished applicants. Somebody quote me the LizzyM post you're all talking about, because now I'm curious about her opinion.

Yeah, see below for the 2006 posting and do a search for the 2011 posting:

LizzyM
07-11-2006, 10:43 PM
What you did in college high school is usually not included on the AMCAS (exceptions might be really big awards like Intel Science Prize). Papers that are never published don't count for beans. What have you done lately? That's what the adcom wants to know.

I did well in the USABO and published a few things in high school. I'm not the only person on SDN who has accomplished things, you know. Other people have several first author publications as well. Giving presentations and contributing meaningfully on campus isn't hard to do.

At 18, you should try to do something that distinguishes you from your peers as well. OP should have more faith in himself. Seeing as you aren't even a premed and all, it might be a good idea to avoid being a jerk...

Yeah, good point. Im not. I don't.like calling myself a freshman pre-med. Tell me though, what school do you attend?

Hilarious to see how easily a thread gets derailed on these forums.

LizzyM
What you did in college high school is usually not included on the AMCAS (exceptions might be really big awards like Intel Science Prize). Papers that are never published don't count for beans. What have you done lately? That's what the adcom wants to know.

That seems extremely similar to what I said but including an exception.

LizzyM

Wow, that's a blast from the past. Fact is, AMCAS does not restrict the "experiece" section and you are free to list stuff from HS (many Eagle Scouts list that achievement although it is, almost without exception, achieved in HS) even if you did not continue on through college. That said, the expectation is that you have so many interesting and important things that you've done since HS that you don't have much room to add things from way back then.