Feeling insecure about acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ben8934

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into my top choice for medical school but it was very late in the cycle (mid May; accepted off the waitlist). I'm really excited to start, but feel insecure about my qualifications since I was accepted so late in the cycle. Is it normal to feel that way? What suggestions do you have to move past this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is not something that you should worry about. Like at all. Being accepted early doesn't mean someone will be at the top of the class, nor does you getting accepted late mean you will be at the bottom of the class.

Reactions: 4 users
Not a single person in your class will know unless you tell them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your MD isn't awarded with an annotation of your undergraduate stats. You are officially on equal footing as your classmates. Congrats.

Reactions: 2 users
I got into my school off the waitlist. Don't worry, you are more than qualified. People don't know when you were admitted, and don't care. We ALL have moments of imposter syndrome. If you feel this way, use it as fuel to study harder, work on succeeding.

Reactions: 1 users
Even if this situation did mean you were at the bottom of your entering class, which it doesn't, you are still in the top 100-200 of the ~8,000 or more students that applied to whatever your school is. Go get em!

Reactions: 1 users
I felt this way throughout my entire college experience. It was like I wasn't smart enough to get in. But you know what? It didn't matter in the end - I learned a lot, I have the diploma, and it taught me more than many other experiences I have had. In the end you'll be just as much of a doctor as any one else!

I got into my top choice for medical school but it was very late in the cycle (mid May; accepted off the waitlist). I'm really excited to start, but feel insecure about my qualifications since I was accepted so late in the cycle. Is it normal to feel that way? What suggestions do you have to move past this?
This is normal. All new endeavors are fraught with anxiety.

You'll get over it.