Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Feeling lost about doing research

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Doctor Dream, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Doctor Dream

Doctor Dream Eating the 5 pancakes
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Hello SDN, hoping you can offer some advice here.

I'm a rising senior going to take a gap year and have zero research experience. I have strong EC's otherwise but I'm afraid my lack of research may hurt down the road. I graduate this spring, so I feel like I missed out on campus research, and don't know where else to look for opportunities. I don't plan to have research as a strong point in my app, nor do I intend to apply to research heavy schools. I'm actually mainly interested in practicing rural medicine, and have a strong desire to go in to primary care if that makes any difference.

Basically I'm wondering if it makes sense for me to look for research opportunities at this point, and if so, where should I look? If I did find something I'd probably have half a year of experience when I apply, and would most likely continue through my gap year.

Thanks for reading!

2. panda16

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    If you have the MSAR, look at the percentages of people who were accepted to see how many of them had research. There are a lot of programs who I'm sure wouldn't put an emphasis on that, especially for rural med.

3. Doctor Dream

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Thanks for the quick reply! I actually don't have MSAR, was hoping to hold off on purchasing that until I apply next cycle! I see people on here mention that 80 or 90% of matriculants have done some sort of research though which makes me a little nervous. I wasn't sure if the expectation was a little different for rural med though.

4. panda16

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Yeah in general you have a lot of research heavy applicants everywhere, but some schools place less emphasis on it, especially the service-driven schools. I would specifically look at Rush Medical College, Loyola, Nebraska, Indiana's rural med program, Creighton, etc! Not saying you CANT have research there but in terms of that versus volunteering I think they may care more about volunteering...at least from the students I know who go to those schools!

5. Doctor Dream

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Thanks for the input! I absolutely plan to apply to all these (except the Indiana rural med which doesn't take OOS apparently :() Where do you think would be good places to look for research gigs? I'm thinking the hospital I work at might have some clinical research opportunities, not sure if they're receptive to undergrads though..