Feeling lost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xz Y

Reaction score
I'm an ORM Senior at at T10 undergrad, 3.9 GPA 521 MCAT.

COVID hit me hard personally and my mental health wasn't so great the past few years. I'm doing much better now but my app has definitely suffered in terms of experiences.
I have around ~400 hrs non clinical volunteering, will have ~100 hours clinical volunteering in a hospital by time of app and have shadowing done by then. Also will have ~200 hours research, maybe a publication.

I'm pretty concerned about my lack of clinical experience, and have been considering taking two gap years for a little bit now. However, i've talked to some med students and some tell me to just apply the upcoming cycle. If I can save a year of my life and get into a school, that would be preferable, but I also really don't know if my app is competitive currently. I'm kind of lost and don't know what would best set me up for success. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an ORM Senior at at T10 undergrad, 3.9 GPA 521 MCAT.

COVID hit me hard personally and my mental health wasn't so great the past few years. I'm doing much better now but my app has definitely suffered in terms of experiences.
I have around ~400 hrs non clinical volunteering, will have ~100 hours clinical volunteering in a hospital by time of app and have shadowing done by then. Also will have ~200 hours research, maybe a publication.

I'm pretty concerned about my lack of clinical experience, and have been considering taking two gap years for a little bit now. However, i've talked to some med students and some tell me to just apply the upcoming cycle. If I can save a year of my life and get into a school, that would be preferable, but I also really don't know if my app is competitive currently. I'm kind of lost and don't know what would best set me up for success. Thanks in advance.
What type of non clinical volunteering do you have? Your MCAT and gpa are really good. Your clinical and research are low but you have a few months to grind and get those hours up. If you want to take it a bit slower then you could consider taking a gap year, but I don't think 2 would be necessary at all with where you are rn.

What type of non clinical volunteering do you have? Your MCAT and gpa are really good. Your clinical and research are low but you have a few months to grind and get those hours up. If you want to take it a bit slower then you could consider taking a gap year, but I don't think 2 would be necessary at all with where you are rn.
About half the non clinical hours are with places that provide meals and food for underserved people, while the other half are with a peer listening group.

How many hours should I be aiming for on the clinical side?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How many hours of in person physician shadowing will you have when you apply ? Where is your state of residence ?

About half the non clinical hours are with places that provide meals and food for underserved people, while the other half are with a peer listening group.

How many hours should I be aiming for on the clinical side?
The nonclinical sounds good. I would continue the underserved volunteering if you have time and peer listening if you enjoy that but you should focus on other areas IMO. I would personally aim for 300-500 hours on the clinical side if you're trying to apply this upcoming cycle, but would get a 2nd opinion from adcoms on here. The research hours may be a bit low if you're aiming for top tier schools. Do you have any leadership experiences?

Here you go. Fill this in and you’ll get better info.