feeling pretty discouraged...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nasem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I usually have a positive outlook on things but today was just a bummed out day for me….

I just got done calculating my undergrad science GPA (only math and physics courses), came out to a whooping 3.15 (totally sucks)…. Right now (doing post-bac on my own) I am planning to finish all my pre-dental bare minimum requirements (Inorganics + organics + biologies) by May of 2008. Even if I get straight 4.0s, My science GPA is stilling bairly going to move to around 3.3-3.4 ish…. Which makes me pretty sad

I am planning to apply for 2009 cycle (15-18 schools) but man with today's competition, I highly doubt my 3.01 undergrad cum GPA and a potiential 3.3-3.4 science GPA is going to get me anywhere :(

Oh well I guess that's what I get for screwing around in my undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

All i can say is rock the DAT and you'll get some interviews. I was in the same boat, but got some interviews from pretty competitive schools. Hope it helps!

I usually have a positive outlook on things but today was just a bummed out day for me….

I just got done calculating my undergrad science GPA (only math and physics courses), came out to a whooping 3.15 (totally sucks)…. Right now (doing post-bac on my own) I am planning to finish all my pre-dental bare minimum requirements (Inorganics + organics + biologies) by May of 2008. Even if I get straight 4.0s, My science GPA is stilling bairly going to move to around 3.3-3.4 ish…. Which makes me pretty sad

I am planning to apply for 2009 cycle (15-18 schools) but man with today’s competition, I highly doubt my 3.01 undergrad cum GPA and a potiential 3.3-3.4 science GPA is going to get me anywhere :(

Oh well I guess that’s what I get for screwing around in my undergrad.

improvement is key. If you can pull out those 4.0 semesters they will take it as a sign of goal direction. You are not screwed. GPA is not everything...it really isn't. Sure it helps but honestly if you are a total go-getter (Shadow, volunteer like crazy, leadership exp. etc.) you will be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
improvement is key. If you can pull out those 4.0 semesters they will take it as a sign of goal direction. You are not screwed. GPA is not everything...it really isn't. Sure it helps but honestly if you are a total go-getter (Shadow, volunteer like crazy, leadership exp. etc.) you will be fine.

it's not everything, but it is a vital component of your application. Make sure you get it to at least 3.3. I just know too many people who had bad GPA with good DAT and solid ECs, and they didn't get in anywhere. Most schools love to play around with high numbers. Just my opinion...

Do well on the DAT, get experience, LORs, etc...also, as has been said, improvement really looks favorably. Hell, my sci GPA was sub 3.4..but i got interviews and acceptances b/c I rocked 5 straight semesters to pull it up from a 2.9...they like to see dedication...TRUST ME!

Do well on the DAT, get experience, LORs, etc...also, as has been said, improvement really looks favorably. Hell, my sci GPA was sub 3.4..but i got interviews and acceptances b/c I rocked 5 straight semesters to pull it up from a 2.9...they like to see dedication...TRUST ME!
you sure deserve your spot in dental school...that's some hard work pulling a 2.9 to around a 3.4. :D

Nasem,

The same thing happened to me yesterday...I have about the same GPA as you and it really hit me "I have gotta get something going!" I sat down today and figured out how I can possibly get a decent GPA for the semester. It's frustrating! I sit back and know I can do MUCH better, yet I am just soooo lazy! I am worrying about the DAT, but if I don't do well in class, the DAT won't even matter! Keep it up, we are almost there!

I was pretty much the same, except my first time around in undergrad i didnt take any sciences to lower my bcp...

I got interviews at 9 of 10 schools I applied to (the one i didnt get invited to i withdrew my application early) and i got in to both of the schools that i actually went to the interview for.

Don't get discouraged...academic improvement and life experiences go a long way

You can't change the past. I did really well my first 2 years of undergrad even when I was working... everything was GREAT until I started my medical fraternity and my time was stolen out from under me. I didn't realize it until the damage was done. I still had above a 3.0, but my GPA was not stellar by any means and it actually decreased towards the end of college which I guess would look pretty bad. I went through a masters program to pull up my GPA when I was more serious about school work and not trying to impress ADCOMs with my extracurricular success (big mistake.) I pulled off a 3.6 taking courses through the medical school... didn't cost a lot bc I got a full scholarship and stipend my second year, received some interviews / acceptances and was accepted with fairly average DAT scores to my #1 choice Dec 1. It is possible...though I took the long route = B.S., M.S., and 2.5 additional years of research at a cancer hospital. Great experiences though. I wouldn't change a thing. Good luck to you. :)

Why dont you try and do those 4.0s (3.8+) and do well on the DAT, and they will see that you truley are up for it

study hard for DAT...dental schools wont close door on you because you enjoyed college life for awhile. what matters is what you do from now on.

I am planning to apply for 2009 cycle (15-18 schools) but man with today’s competition, I highly doubt my 3.01 undergrad cum GPA and a potiential 3.3-3.4 science GPA is going to get me anywhere :(

Oh well I guess that’s what I get for screwing around in my undergrad.

are you kidding me? a 3.3 3.4 is not a sad score!!! and about getting straight A's, it is possible!!! I DID it for two straight quarters. Anything is possible...and from what I see, you still have a good shot at dental school. It's true competition increases....but not so much to blow you out of the water...do well on the DAT's, Do your best regarding your classes, even take extra classes to boost you gpa...take as much classes as you can (preferably easier classes until your college caps you!!!!!...and be motivated about getting in...really show schools your are determined...

You can do it...I know so!! I did!

good luck

Keep your head up Nasem. I was in a similar situation, and I got in. Do your best and the rest will take care of itself. No use worrying about the past. Good luck!

No sweat!
My GPA is a 2.9 ish . I applied to 5 schools, got 4 interview invites I went to only 2 cause I got into the school I wanted on Dec 1st. I got one rejection.

I do have DAT scores in the 98 percentile so.. I think if you can rock your DAT.. you got high chances. So dont be discouraged

A GPA like that is not going to prevent you from getting into dental school. Work hard to bring it up, round out your application with the DAT, your letters of recommendation, and good extra curriculars, and you'll have as good a chance as anyone.

Thanks guys for all your posts. and belive me, I was NO WHERE near giving up, I just had a low day yesterday, from today (and on forward), I will push my self even harder (I don't know how much harder I can push lol, I am taking Gen Chem I along with lab, working 40-50 hrs a week as a software developer, and self studying Organic chemistry as a preparation for september semester which is going to be WorldWar III for me due to General Chemisty II + Ogro I + Bio I + Bio lab + Gen chem II lab).