Feeling stupid in PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jn7771992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my first semester of PT school with a 3.28 GPA. So far, I’m enjoying everything I learned but I feel like a fraud. Everything I do I feel like I’m falling short compared to my classmates as in I’m not smart nor capable enough to be the program, and not catching up the concept quicker. I changed my study habits and it improved slightly in certain classes, but unfortunately I had to remediate two exams and now placed on academic warning. Now I’m scared to move forward. I’m struggling to change my perspective about grades. My class is divided into two different viewpoints: grades matter in life vs. grades don’t define as a PT. I feel frustrated that my class is low key competitive when it comes to grades. I feel so dumb that I don’t have straight A’s nor have the “perfect” background experiences to show.

I need some advice how to get over this mindset. I know PT school is challenging and I’m not going to give up, but I don’t understand why I feel like I’m struggling but my classmates make it seem like it’s easy.

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my first semester of PT school with a 3.28 GPA. So far, I’m enjoying everything I learned but I feel like a fraud. Everything I do I feel like I’m falling short compared to my classmates as in I’m not smart nor capable enough to be the program, and not catching up the concept quicker. I changed my study habits and it improved slightly in certain classes, but unfortunately I had to remediate two exams and now placed on academic warning. Now I’m scared to move forward. I’m struggling to change my perspective about grades. My class is divided into two different viewpoints: grades matter in life vs. grades don’t define as a PT. I feel frustrated that my class is low key competitive when it comes to grades. I feel so dumb that I don’t have straight A’s nor have the “perfect” background experiences to show.

I need some advice how to get over this mindset. I know PT school is challenging and I’m not going to give up, but I don’t understand why I feel like I’m struggling but my classmates make it seem like it’s easy.
Hi again,
Cool. You passed the semester. Congrats! That's the most important thing.

Grades seriously do not matter. 3/4 of the crap you are being tested on will never show up again (including the boards). And to be a good PT you need to synthesize the take-home message/practical application of the stuff you're learning + your clinician skills + your "people" skills etc etc etc, not just do well on exams. You're passing and still in the program, who cares if you don't have a 4.0? Employers don't care. Your patients won't care. It doesn't matter. You're all going to get the same degree and same qualifications when you graduate. It's so stupid to be competitive for good grades. It's just unnecessary stress. And it's childish.

Try to stay away from those conversations. It used to bug me too if it was material I had struggled with and I finally just started leaving the room so I wouldn't hear it. Just worry about yourself. Sometimes it is impossible to not hear these convos but just stay out of them. Don't ask, and don't share your grades (it just feeds the frenzy and will make someone else feel terrible about themselves). Don't expend the energy worrying about everyone else. It doesn't change anything. You can't change that they are competitive, but you can control your reaction to it.

Like you said.....they're "making it seem like" it's easy. You don't know other people's struggles. Just pay attention to yourself.

Also - each semester is very different. I felt like a slow-witted ***** my first semester. I just really struggled. I found later that I just sucked at memorizing mundane facts which was a lot of our first tri. I excelled at neuro (don't ask me how or why lol), where the rest of the class struggled, and I shot from the bottom of the class to the top. You will find your place where you shine, and feel confident, and your grades reflect that, and it just happened to not be during your first tri.

School is stressful enough without worrying about things that are outside of your control. Control what you can control & teach yourself to ignore the rest. I know it is easier said than done but you sound as though you are perseverating and drowning. Get control of your thoughts. Take the break to rest and heal and remember, every semester is very different, so try to not be intimidated next semester.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi again,
Cool. You passed the semester. Congrats! That's the most important thing.

Grades seriously do not matter. 3/4 of the crap you are being tested on will never show up again (including the boards). And to be a good PT you need to synthesize the take-home message/practical application of the stuff you're learning + your clinician skills + your "people" skills etc etc etc, not just do well on exams. You're passing and still in the program, who cares if you don't have a 4.0? Employers don't care. Your patients won't care. It doesn't matter. You're all going to get the same degree and same qualifications when you graduate. It's so stupid to be competitive for good grades. It's just unnecessary stress. And it's childish.

Try to stay away from those conversations. It used to bug me too if it was material I had struggled with and I finally just started leaving the room so I wouldn't hear it. Just worry about yourself. Sometimes it is impossible to not hear these convos but just stay out of them. Don't ask, and don't share your grades (it just feeds the frenzy and will make someone else feel terrible about themselves). Don't expend the energy worrying about everyone else. It doesn't change anything. You can't change that they are competitive, but you can control your reaction to it.

Like you said.....they're "making it seem like" it's easy. You don't know other people's struggles. Just pay attention to yourself.

Also - each semester is very different. I felt like a slow-witted ***** my first semester. I just really struggled. I found later that I just sucked at memorizing mundane facts which was a lot of our first tri. I excelled at neuro (don't ask me how or why lol), where the rest of the class struggled, and I shot from the bottom of the class to the top. You will find your place where you shine, and feel confident, and your grades reflect that, and it just happened to not be during your first tri.

School is stressful enough without worrying about things that are outside of your control. Control what you can control & teach yourself to ignore the rest. I know it is easier said than done but you sound as though you are perseverating and drowning. Get control of your thoughts. Take the break to rest and heal and remember, every semester is very different, so try to not be intimidated next semester.
Thank you for your input. It’s a huge adjustment from me especially living out of state and staying in school mode after graduating from college 5 years ago. My first semester was challenging and I’m trying to persevere without feeling stupid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your input. It’s a huge adjustment from me especially living out of state and staying in school mode after graduating from college 5 years ago. My first semester was challenging and I’m trying to persevere without feeling stupid.
I was out ten years before DPT school, I hear you. It was a massive adjustment for me too. Take a deep breath, hang in there. You'll make it through

grades don't matter. there are two types of people that get into PT school. the list makers, and the integrators. the integrators have lower GPAs generally, but often make for the better PTs. They recognize that the first 5 things you do for ACL reconstruction, TKA, Meniscectomies, and Patellar tendon rupture/repair are all the same. the list makers memorize each list and don't recognize that the lists are the same.

The grades mattered to get into PT school. Now they don't. Learn the material and "listen", don't just take notes and memorize them.

Reactions: 2 users

DO NOT WORRY about that!!! All you need to be concerned about is your GPA (above 3.0 and nice to have some cushion just in case), and yours is fine. Yes, I also was much slower than all people in my class and nothing on my extra curriculum. But that does not matter because all of us, slower and quicker thinkers, graduated, passed the boards, and got jobs. I did have to spend at least double time to study than my classmates, but so what!? As long as you have that time. Maybe focus on what PRACTIALLY matters (minimal GPA) to go through PT school and become PT instead of focusing on FEELINGS.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s hard for me to get over the fear of failing since my program is based in grades. If you failed an exam two or more times, you’re at risk for getting a warning or probation at worse. I know it’s only a bump on the road, and my counselor told me it’ll be okay and you’re not the only going through it. But it feels like I’m alone since no one understands my situation well enough to get me out of it. It’s a vicious cycle of being optimistic one day and feeling pessimistic the other. I don’t want people to look at me as a sore loser or a classmate who can’t handle it.

It’s hard for me to get over the fear of failing since my program is based in grades. If you failed an exam two or more times, you’re at risk for getting a warning or probation at worse. I know it’s only a bump on the road, and my counselor told me it’ll be okay and you’re not the only going through it. But it feels like I’m alone since no one understands my situation well enough to get me out of it. It’s a vicious cycle of being optimistic one day and feeling pessimistic the other. I don’t want people to look at me as a sore loser or a classmate who can’t handle it.
I totally hear you. After my first semester, I was placed on probation. I thought I was going to get kicked out (and I would have if my GPA didn't come up), but as hard as it is, you just have to stop thinking about those negative things. My second semester was SO much better. Instead of just memorization and regurgitation, it was application of concepts. And I went from the absolute bottom of the class to above the average. My GPA came up significantly (and so did my confidence). I'm in the middle of my first clinical right now and I am actually doing well (because guess what, patients care if you can actually have a conversation with them, not what grade you got in anatomy). It will get better and you will make it through.

Reactions: 1 user
Hope you pushed through and hit your stride buddy. I check in on this site every now and then to see if you made it through your roadblock.

Reactions: 1 users