feeling very insecure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caseofyou

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i got my first rejection today - mt. sinai. i felt like i had decent stats (35Q/3.9GPA) and now i'm feeling very insecure about things... i really don't know where i want to go, but most of my interviews are over and i'm just wondering if this is indicative of how everything is going to play out. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are great. Everyone, even the 4.0s and 40s, gets a rejection or two. Is it indicative of how everything will play out? Maybe, but probably not. I think that as long as you did decently in your interviews and had at least a couple of ECs in college, your bound to get in somewhere. :luck:

caseofyou said:
i got my first rejection today - mt. sinai. i felt like i had decent stats (35Q/3.9GPA) and now i'm feeling very insecure about things... i really don't know where i want to go, but most of my interviews are over and i'm just wondering if this is indicative of how everything is going to play out. :(

what the hell is wrong with you... 35q and 3.9 and you're upset? :{. well, i guess we all feel the same way as you do in some way or the other.. i wish i were in your situation though, i have 6 interviews coming up, its going to be super busy the next few weeks :p. it feels like its unavoidable to get a rejection from at least one school though.

Members don't see this ad :)
caseofyou said:

what???? are you kidding me?? wow. but calm down, your stats are great! there ar eplenty of places that will readily accept you.

It's okay....I feel your pain. Even with a 4.0, I was rejected from Georgetown. Who knows why? I get down sometimes too when I don't hear back from schools, but not every school is going to like you. You're in better standing than me....wish I had that 39 MCAT!

yeah... it's just tough when it's the first news you get! hopefully it's only up from here. :)

caseofyou said:
you have great stats. I encourage you to ask the adcom at mt sinai to send you a letter explaining why you got rejected from there. It could help clear up some uncertainty for you and uncertainty is the worst thing possible in this process.

caseofyou said:

Have you considered osteopathic medicine? I think you have a decent shot getting into at least a mid-tier D.O. school. What about dental school?

j.k, stop worrying. This was a waste of a thread. You know you're going to get in somewhere. If that's what you want to hear, you got it. Now chill out.

Hey there,

I burst into tears at work today because my roommate called me to announce I had gotten a piece of mail from U Chicago...only to be a waitlist...and my third one. So now it's 1 rejection and 3 waitlists and I am feeling hopeless!!! I have similar stats as you (although not as high of an mcat!) and so I'm thinking maybe I am not doing as well on my interviews as i thought?? But I left the interviews feeling hopeful!!! Let's hang in there together...it's not completely over yet right? *hug*

I understand how you feel. I have similar stats to yours. I've been rejected by one school pre-interview and have not heard from a good number of schools. I'm also on one waitlist. It bothers me whether a rejection or waitlist is indicative of what I will experience in the future. Is something wrong with my application that one school did not like and others may not too? However, nobody gets accepted to every single school and not every single interviewer will like what you say or how you present yourself. Stay confident and try to not let it bother you too much (I should try to do the same). You probably also have interviews at schools that are better than Mt. Sinai.

this application process is truly an emotion roller coaster. On the days you get interview invites/acceptance, you feel like you are on top of the world. On the days you get rejection letters, you feel like you won't get in anywhere despite your excellent stats. I've learned to feel good about myself as long as i have tried my very best.

Hey, I defintely feel you on this one. I cried when I got my first rejection, and it wasn't even a school that was on the top of my list--it just sucked that it was the first news I got. Feel good that you have had interviews at least, I'm still waiting for ONE school to decide they might actually want to meet me. :rolleyes: This process is so hard, I thought studying all summer for the MCAT while working full-time was difficult, then writing all the essays and spending all the $$ on secondaries--but this waiting is actually much worse. You think once you've cleared the hurdles and gotten a decent MCAT score and turned in all your secondaries, the hard part is over, and it's just a matter of getting interviews and hopefully at least one acceptance after all that...ha! Each day that goes by without any news, I feel more depressed and hopeless. It doesn't help that coworkers, friends, family, etc. keep asking every day, "have you heard anything yet?" and I get to keep telling them no, looking and feeling like more and more of a loser. :(

I have the same stats and I'm sure mt. sinai is gonna give me the rejection soon since i have been complete since september with no word yet at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
caseofyou said:

Not trying to imply anything, but clinical experience/volunteering is important too.

Mistress S said:
It doesn't help that coworkers, friends, family, etc. keep asking every day, "have you heard anything yet?" and I get to keep telling them no, looking and feeling like more and more of a loser. :(

Yeah seriously. If we had good news, we'd share. I don't know what family/coworkers can't shut up and mind their own business for a few days. *sorry, i'm in a bad mood*

tinkerbelle said:
Yeah seriously. If we had good news, we'd share. I don't know what family/coworkers can't shut up and mind their own business for a few days. *sorry, i'm in a bad mood*

I'm with you on that one! Every time I call first thing - Anything good come in the mail? I've vowed not to tell them ANYTHING either way! So far so good, I wonder how long I can hold out :laugh:

yeah, i know what you mean. if you haven't heard from a school yet and there are only 6 months left until may, your chances aren't looking good. not much interviewing goes on between november and may.

blz said:
I have the same stats and I'm sure mt. sinai is gonna give me the rejection soon since i have been complete since september with no word yet at all.

RunMimi said:
I seriously feel your pain. I got my first rejection (well waitlist, but doesn't that feel the same?) today from UChicago, a school I really wanted to go to. Just because you get accepted other places, doesn't mean that rejection doesn't hurt. :( Don't worry--I'm sure you and I will still make excellent doctors. Their loss, right?

I looked at your stats/ugrad, and I have to say, the fact that you got rejected from UChicago is really surprising! And it depresses me, b/c I come from a similar ugrad institution, but my MCAT score, gpa, and ECs are all lower than yours. Well, let me know where you do get in =). You certainly deserve to get in everywhere you applied, IMO.

after all this time on SDN, i've figured out what OP means. and I know what evodevo's stfu means. What in the world does imo mean :confused:

OK, I know this is a thread about getting rejections, and I have yet to apply anywhere, but I need some serious advice from all of you.

I took the August MCAT, and got a 33Q. I was relieved at first, because I thought I felt bad after I took the test...I was workign this summer and didn't have time to take a class or study a great deal. But now, I'm starting to think my score is very mediocre. Should I retake? Plus, my GPA is similarly mediocre (3.56). I went to a wonderful school, but my gpa/mcat score reveal that I am merely a mediocre student. My ECs/clinical experiences are also pretty mediocre: Peer Health Educator, President of one of those ethnic (asian) orgs, and...that's it. I hope to work in a hospital after graduation.

I really want to get into U of Rochestor, but after reading about so many of you--with better stats than myself--get rejected from schools, I'm getting worried.

I want some honest advice here...I'm willing to take the MCATs again...I don't think I can get any higher than a 37 (with a ton of studying and luck) but will that help significantly. I know this should belong in a "what are my chances" thread, but as you all are talking about rejection, I hoped you would give me some real advice based on your own experience with this process. The last thing I need right now is an encouraging "oh you're fine" answer. THANKS!!!!

i think imo = in my opinion

tinkerbelle said:
after all this time on SDN, i've figured out what OP means. and I know what evodevo's stfu means. What in the world does imo mean :confused:

haha, don't retake....your numbers are fine. i would work on the ECs though, get that hospital work in.

don't mean to discourage you, because every applicant is different, but i had a slightly higher GPA and MCAT and plenty of ECs, and got the boot from rochester pretty quickly.

but again, don't worry about what me and others post:) ....there are people with lower numbers who get in, it's impossible to say who will get in and who won't, every applicant is unique, and there is some randomness to this process.

funshine said:
OK, I know this is a thread about getting rejections, and I have yet to apply anywhere, but I need some serious advice from all of you.

I took the August MCAT, and got a 33Q. I was relieved at first, because I thought I felt bad after I took the test...I was workign this summer and didn't have time to take a class or study a great deal. But now, I'm starting to think my score is very mediocre. Should I retake? Plus, my GPA is similarly mediocre (3.56). I went to a wonderful school, but my gpa/mcat score reveal that I am merely a mediocre student. My ECs/clinical experiences are also pretty mediocre: Peer Health Educator, President of one of those ethnic (asian) orgs, and...that's it. I hope to work in a hospital after graduation.

I really want to get into U of Rochestor, but after reading about so many of you--with better stats than myself--get rejected from schools, I'm getting worried.

I want some honest advice here...I'm willing to take the MCATs again...

sunUCB said:
haha, don't retake....your numbers are fine. i would work on the ECs though, get that hospital work in.

don't mean to discourage you, because every applicant is different, but i had a slightly higher GPA and MCAT and plenty of ECs, and got the boot from rochester pretty quickly.

but again, don't worry about what me and others post:) ....there are people with lower numbers who get in, it's impossible to say who will get in and who won't, every applicant is unique, and there is some randomness to this process.

thanks for let me know about roch....eek. maybe i should consider other schools. well where have you gotten in so far? Honestly, I can't think of any other school I want to go to, and I don't just want to apply to a bunch of random schools and see who will give an interview to me. But *should* i do that? It seems I can't be too picky.

funshine said:
thanks for let me know about roch....eek. maybe i should consider other schools. well where have you gotten in so far? Honestly, I can't think of any other school I want to go to, and I don't just want to apply to a bunch of random schools and see who will give an interview to me. But *should* i do that? It seems I can't be too picky.

If you wanna be picky be picky as in apply to some top tier schools but also apply to some in-betweens. Your MCAT score and grades are NOT mediocre. I don't get how people come on here and ask if they need to retake a 30 or above MCAT score. People, you are fine...you are more than fine..now stop stressing about your way above average numbers and work on getting ready for your interviews where you need to make sure you don't come across as a psycho or weirdo. Good luck funshine!
:)

Mistress S said:
Hey, I defintely feel you on this one. I cried when I got my first rejection, and it wasn't even a school that was on the top of my list--it just sucked that it was the first news I got. Feel good that you have had interviews at least, I'm still waiting for ONE school to decide they might actually want to meet me. :rolleyes: This process is so hard, I thought studying all summer for the MCAT while working full-time was difficult, then writing all the essays and spending all the $$ on secondaries--but this waiting is actually much worse. You think once you've cleared the hurdles and gotten a decent MCAT score and turned in all your secondaries, the hard part is over, and it's just a matter of getting interviews and hopefully at least one acceptance after all that...ha! Each day that goes by without any news, I feel more depressed and hopeless. It doesn't help that coworkers, friends, family, etc. keep asking every day, "have you heard anything yet?" and I get to keep telling them no, looking and feeling like more and more of a loser. :(

Well I filled out everything really really early and guess what after a week of AMCAS sending my apps to schools, I got my first rejection letter from MCW...... and it was one of my safety schools......my confidence was shaken but I shrugged it off and moved on ..... never even thinking about it again........

A person who never falls doesn't describe real success .. real success is described when you fall but bounce back immediately and take it in stride......

Don't worry this process is random.......you will be surprised where you get rejected and where you get interviews from......keep the faith

Good Luck :luck: :luck: :luck:

funshine said:

I want some honest advice here...I'm willing to take the MCATs again...I don't think I can get any higher than a 37 (with a ton of studying and luck) but will that help significantly. I know this should belong in a "what are my chances" thread, but as you all are talking about rejection, I hoped you would give me some real advice based on your own experience with this process. The last thing I need right now is an encouraging "oh you're fine" answer. THANKS!!!!

as long as you have good ECs I dont think you should retake it. a 33 is a great score, but you can never be sure where you'll actually go no matter what (even if you got a 40). also what was the breakup of your score?

I'm M2 now and I remember feeling exactly like everyone in this thread. You've heard that med school admissions are a bit random and now you know why. I got drop-kicked by a couple "safety" schools and got in to a couple "reach" schools.

The truth of the matter is that success in medicine is about a lot more than numbers. Numbers can keep you out of the interview, but numbers don't mean anything past that point. Most schools want to see that you can relate to people and that you demonstrate a level of maturity that is adequate for successful patient interaction. I can honestly say that my best advice to the aspiring physician is to do ANYTHING after college for a couple years- work in a factory, live on a boat, join the military, etc... because you will have to be able to relate to your patients one day. My point is.... if you don't make it in this round, it might be the best thing that ever happened to you. Talk to a first year resident and ask them what they wish they had done when they had the chance. Trust me- Netter and Robbins will be here when you get back.

Most of you will be fine (especially considering the numbers I've seen in this thread) so chill out. If someone wants personal advice send me your case history in a PM and I let you know what I think. Good luck to all.

Rejections will always burn...

(especially post-interview)