Feet muscle spasms: clincal case

Started by Maverikk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Maverikk

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Physiatrists,

I've a clinical scenario: 30 yo M, only PMHx is type 1 diabetes for 8 years, extremely well controlled (highest HbA1C is 7.2). Was in for fractured radius due to trauma (bike accident), day of d/c I see him and he's uncomfortable. Complains of his toe 'locking up', I look at it and it is indeed plantarflexed, the plantar surface of his foot feels tight. He tells me that this is something that has been going on for 5 years, lasts about 5-10 minutes and goes away by itself, and happens about once every 2 weeks. Happens to his 1st and second toe. I thought this was an odd symptom, not really requiring pain meds or intervention. Is this normal? I told him to try warm compresses and told him to f/u with a physiatrist if he wanted a better evaluation. Thanks for any help
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a very similar case 2 weeks ago. Healthy 34 year old male who came to see me for mid-back pain and casually mentions cramping causing toe flexion intermittently for years. In going through his activities of daily living, I found he was exercising often and drinking copious amounts of water. I asked him to replace his electrolyte intake. On his follow-up appointment yesterday, that alone resolved his intermittent cramping. Had that not worked, Botox would have been my next plan of attack.

Hope that helps!