Maverikk

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2013
Status
Attending Physician
Hi Physiatrists,

I've a clinical scenario: 30 yo M, only PMHx is type 1 diabetes for 8 years, extremely well controlled (highest HbA1C is 7.2). Was in for fractured radius due to trauma (bike accident), day of d/c I see him and he's uncomfortable. Complains of his toe 'locking up', I look at it and it is indeed plantarflexed, the plantar surface of his foot feels tight. He tells me that this is something that has been going on for 5 years, lasts about 5-10 minutes and goes away by itself, and happens about once every 2 weeks. Happens to his 1st and second toe. I thought this was an odd symptom, not really requiring pain meds or intervention. Is this normal? I told him to try warm compresses and told him to f/u with a physiatrist if he wanted a better evaluation. Thanks for any help

OP
M

Maverikk

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2013
Status
Attending Physician
Wow >100 views and no help, am I asking the wrong people?

PMR2008

PM&R
10+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Most likely focal dystonia. Treatment is usually Botox if painful.

DRacula

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2007
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
I had a very similar case 2 weeks ago. Healthy 34 year old male who came to see me for mid-back pain and casually mentions cramping causing toe flexion intermittently for years. In going through his activities of daily living, I found he was exercising often and drinking copious amounts of water. I asked him to replace his electrolyte intake. On his follow-up appointment yesterday, that alone resolved his intermittent cramping. Had that not worked, Botox would have been my next plan of attack.

Hope that helps!

lobelsteve

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
May 30, 2005
Canton GA
www.stevenlobel.com
Status
Attending Physician
Unsure if I'd recommend Botox for an intermittent cramping problem. I'd ask him to exercise/aggravate the problem and present to office for eval. Prevention rather than treatment makes more sense.