Fellowship abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudentmed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that fellowships in ophtho are not regulated since the ACGME does not define any subspecialties...as such, would it be possible to do a fellowship abroad (ie a retina fellowship in London, for example)

Or would this be too difficult due to licensing requirements/etc?

Members don't see this ad.

I understand that fellowships in ophtho are not regulated since the ACGME does not define any subspecialties...as such, would it be possible to do a fellowship abroad (ie a retina fellowship in London, for example)

Or would this be too difficult due to licensing requirements/etc?

It's been done for years. Moorfields has trained many U.S. surgeons. Others have done fellowships in Australia.

In fact, some of those fellowships are highly competitive and of very high quality. Thinking of European, Australian and Canadian fellowships, but I am sure there are many others.

In fact, some of those fellowships are highly competitive and of very high quality. Thinking of European, Australian and Canadian fellowships, but I am sure there are many others.

University of Auckland/Auckland District Health Board in New Zealand has fellowships in VR/Cornea/medical retina and oculoplastics. You get paid a living wage too (should be more than enough if you don't have kids - would be a stretch if you do). I get paid similar and I live pretty well.