Fellowship after Non US Residency

Started by ooworld
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ooworld

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I have a question regarding pediatric fellowships & I 'd appreciate your answers.

If I want to do a pediatric fellowship in the US after finishing a pediatric residency in my country, Will it be easier to match into the fellowship or match a pediatric residency then go for the fellowship?

I know that matching Ophthalmology and Radiology fellowships is easier for IMG than matching into such competitive residences. But any ideas about the situation in peds?
 
Hi,

I have a question regarding pediatric fellowships & I 'd appreciate your answers.

If I want to do a pediatric fellowship in the US after finishing a pediatric residency in my country, Will it be easier to match into the fellowship or match a pediatric residency then go for the fellowship?

I know that matching Ophthalmology and Radiology fellowships is easier for IMG than matching into such competitive residences. But any ideas about the situation in peds?

I am only going on what I've seen and confess that someone like OlBearProfessor is better equipped (knowledge and experience wise) to answer the question, but all the foreign docs who did fellowships in my institution did a residency in the US first (sometimes a second residency after a first in their home country). Thus, my impression is that it is easier to get a residency than a fellowship.
 
Hi,

I have a question regarding pediatric fellowships & I 'd appreciate your answers.

If I want to do a pediatric fellowship in the US after finishing a pediatric residency in my country, Will it be easier to match into the fellowship or match a pediatric residency then go for the fellowship?

I know that matching Ophthalmology and Radiology fellowships is easier for IMG than matching into such competitive residences. But any ideas about the situation in peds?

It depends on you, your long-term goals and which fellowship area to which you plan to apply. Very non-competitive specialties in pediatrics, in which you make it clear that your plan is to return with your experience to your home country, are likely to still be relatively available. More competitive pediatric specialties, including pedi cards, are going to be much more difficult to enter without a US residency.

Of course, to be board eligible in the US, with rare exceptions discussed in other threads, current applicants are best advised to do a US residency. If your intent is in any way to practice long-term in the US, I strongly advise current applicants to do a US residency.

Strong applicants (board scores are key, but not the only factor), who speak English fluently still have a reasonable number of choices for pedi residency in the US. This window of opportunity may be decreasing rapidly though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@J-Rad: Thanks on your reply, That's why I think I might be at a disadvantage when applying to a fellowship as IMGs become no longer IMGs but a US residency graduates!!!

@OBProfessor: So can I say that matching into a peds residency is easier than matching a fellowship (other than cards) in my situation?

Except to the long long hours and poor compensation while redoing the residency, to have the American Board of Pediatrics is a big plus in Egypt and virtually any place in the world.

Anyway, I am not intending to practice in the US on the long term and I am thinking of Heme/Onc but I don't want to waste a year into applying and not matching in the end.

Thanks on your time OBProfessor, I appreciate your advice
 
@OBProfessor: So can I say that matching into a peds residency is easier than matching a fellowship (other than cards) in my situation?

Anyway, I am not intending to practice in the US on the long term and I am thinking of Heme/Onc but I don't want to waste a year into applying and not matching in the end.

Well, I don't know your situation such as your board scores, your letters of recommendation, etc so I can't say what your competitiveness is. Even if I knew those thinks, unless I'd spent time working with you directly I still might not be sure. Heme/onc is moderately competitive too, I was only using cardiology as an example. There are no guarantees and how each program and each field responds to applications from people who do not wish to stay in the US is very variable. You might be able to discuss this directly with some programs.
 
Thanks again OBprofessor, so I can understand from you that if I am less competitive a residency may be a more realistic goal than a fellowship.
 
Strong applicants (board scores are key, but not the only factor), who speak English fluently still have a reasonable number of choices for pedi residency in the US. This window of opportunity may be decreasing rapidly though.

OBP..just out of curiosity, why do you think this window of opportunity is closing quickly? ie. for strong IMG applicants who speak English fluently. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
 
OBP..just out of curiosity, why do you think this window of opportunity is closing quickly? ie. for strong IMG applicants who speak English fluently. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

More US medical school graduates, decreasing number of out-of-the-match spots being made available and the opportunity to take advantage both of "primary care" loan reimbursements or other benefits that may be offered in the future as well as the option for a diverse range of subspecialty areas. All of these will, I believe decrease the relatively small number of programs that primarily take IMGs. It won't go to zero, but it'll get much smaller over the next 10 years unless there are more residency spots, which I really doubt.