Fellowship Application: Contacting Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolff313

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All:
I have a general question in regards to the fellowship application process. I have read some invaluable advice on this forum on how to be competitive, whichever fellowship you pursue. However, if you have a specific program in mind (based on research interests, regional preferences, etc), how do you go about letting them know you are interested? This ofcourse, is before an interview is extended. Any advice on networking at national conferences, and how to approach program directors that are there? Or perhaps reaching out to the programs cold with questions? Basically, is there anyway to get on their radar prior the formal application process? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All:
I have a general question in regards to the fellowship application process. I have read some invaluable advice on this forum on how to be competitive, whichever fellowship you pursue. However, if you have a specific program in mind (based on research interests, regional preferences, etc), how do you go about letting them know you are interested? This ofcourse, is before an interview is extended. Any advice on networking at national conferences, and how to approach program directors that are there? Or perhaps reaching out to the programs cold with questions? Basically, is there anyway to get on their radar prior the formal application process? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Conferences are fine. I can’t imagine meeting somebody for five minutes matters unless the field is very very small (think sub sub subspecialty... not so much for medicine subspecialties). I find the idea of “networking” at conferences somewhat silly... cardiology conferences for example have around 25-30k people attend. I think if you meet someone and sustain a research collaboration or something that is perhaps more useful, but you obviously have to be a good candidate at baseline.

I think sending an email and letter of interest stating your reasons for wanting to go to a particular fellowship is fine - I don’t think it necessarily makes a difference most of the time but you might get lucky.

Conferences are fine. I can’t imagine meeting somebody for five minutes matters unless the field is very very small (think sub sub subspecialty... not so much for medicine subspecialties). I find the idea of “networking” at conferences somewhat silly... cardiology conferences for example have around 25-30k people attend. I think if you meet someone and sustain a research collaboration or something that is perhaps more useful, but you obviously have to be a good candidate at baseline.

I think sending an email and letter of interest stating your reasons for wanting to go to a particular fellowship is fine - I don’t think it necessarily makes a difference most of the time but you might get lucky.
Thank you. I appreciate your feedback