Fellowship at top notch places

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Usher

Usher
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone has experience with fellowships??? GI, hepath or dermpath.... which places are the best??? what does it take to get there?

I've heard this are the bests:

- UVA
- MAyo
- NYU
- MD Anderson
- BID

Members don't see this ad.

Usher said:
Does anyone has experience with fellowships??? GI, hepath or dermpath.... which places are the best??? what does it take to get there?

I've heard this are the bests:

- UVA
- MAyo
- NYU
- MD Anderson
- BID

I think there are two strategies to viewing this:
1) Don't look at the name of the institution. Just because they are famous all around doesn't mean they have alot of volume in every specialty in medicine. Look at how good that subspecialty is at that institution. Look at how the institution is ranked in GI, Women's medicine, etc.. because that is where all the volume of interesting cases in going to come from. There are alot of places that aren't as famous for med school, etc., but are really famous for derm, GI, heme, transplant, etc. departments. This is even crudely ranked in US News and World report.

2) The place isn't as important as who you will be working with. A fellow will work directly with the attendings in that specialty, which means alot of one-on-one time. So go for big names! (i.e. Dr. Thung for liver, Dr. Fenoglio for GI, or Dr. Hsi for Heme) This is hard to figure out unless you are already in the field of pathology.

Completely agree with previous post. The places on the list can be considered all-round good, but you'd want to find out which fellowship you want to do, and then do the research from there. You want a place with a top name - not only because they're good, but also because they tend to attract a lot of revision and second-opinion specimens, and that's gold to look at when you're doing a fellowship. So:
1) find out what you want to do.
2) find out who's the best.
3) find out where they work, and apply there. (obviously, as in anything, try several).
Also note that some of the REALLY famous are also pretty old, so you'd also want to check if they have semi- og fully retired. Know of somebody who applied to Sloan-Kettering for a gyn fellowship, specifically to work with Peter Paul Rosen -- only to find out (during interview) that he'd retired. Not a smart move!