Fellowship in Canada after US residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDuck13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a canadian citizen who graduated from a USMD and will begin my residency next week at a US internal medicine residency program. I'm looking to specialize after finishing residency. I will be on H1-B visa for residency. I had a few questions regarding how the fellowship application would work.

1. Would I be able to apply to fellowship (only in Ontario, if that matters at all) after completing a 3-year residency in the US or do I need to somehow add on a 4th year through a fellowship or chief year?

2. What exams would I need to take to be eligible to apply? As far as I understand it's MCCEE part 1 and part 2?

3. Are the canadian and US fellowship matches somewhat integrated similar to how they are for residency?

4. Since fellowships are less likely to give H1B's than residencies, I have read about the possibility of a J-1 downgrade. Is it true that a J-1 visa is no longer an option for IM fellowships for canadians studying abroad?

Thank you for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm a canadian citizen who graduated from a USMD and will begin my residency next week at a US internal medicine residency program. I'm looking to specialize after finishing residency. I will be on H1-B visa for residency. I had a few questions regarding how the fellowship application would work.

1. Would I be able to apply to fellowship (only in Ontario, if that matters at all) after completing a 3-year residency in the US or do I need to somehow add on a 4th year through a fellowship or chief year?

2. What exams would I need to take to be eligible to apply? As far as I understand it's MCCEE part 1 and part 2?

3. Are the canadian and US fellowship matches somewhat integrated similar to how they are for residency?

4. Since fellowships are less likely to give H1B's than residencies, I have read about the possibility of a J-1 downgrade. Is it true that a J-1 visa is no longer an option for IM fellowships for canadians studying abroad?

Thank you for all your help.
Read the health canada website first off about IM subspecialization. Instead of asking on a forum about "what is true" get it direct from the sources.

And learn about the visas. Once you're on H1B, i don't think you can downgrade easily without rammifications...i.e. forgoing chances at US green card pathway etc