Fellowship interview tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoffeeQuestionMark

WSU c/o 2023
5+ Year Member
Contest Winner!
Reaction score
Hi guys

I applied for a few laboratory animal medicine fellowships and just curious for anyone who has done a fellowship/externship interview, what kind of questions they may ask.
I know they'll be different for different positions but they is nothing that makes me more nervous than prepping for an interview.

Thanks in advance :D

Members don't see this ad.

I recently completed a regulatory medicine fellowship, so not entirely the same but similar!

Definitely be ready to speak about your experience and how it applies to the position for which you're being interviewed - don't sell yourself short when it comes to discussing everything you've done and accomplished :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did some as well. Be prepared to answer why you want to be at that specific program but also why lab animal in general. A lot of places still want to make sure you understand the difference between animal welfare and animal rights, too.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hi yes sorry. Basically what trh said, knowing what lab animal medicine is, why you're interested in it, animal rights vs welfare, would be the major things I'd think about beforehand. And then doing some background research on the program and the vet staff can only help. One of the resident applicants we had this round referenced a paper I had written before vet school (and under my maiden name) and I was super impressed. Vs the applicant who had no idea about a major part of our program. A couple minutes reading about the description and some light Google searches will be to your benefit.

Side note but my inbox is always open if you or anyone ever has lab animal related questions.

Sent from my phone using the mobile app because I bought it and I'm stubborn

• Love
Reactions: 2 users