fellowship or comprehensive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RestoreSight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for as long as I can remember I've been set on a fellowship after residency followed by a career in academics. I recently received a great job offer from a family friend in a comprehensive practice in a busy urban area that is making me question whether a fellowship is necessary anymore. My question is, can a busy comprehensive doc do as well or better than say, a busy retina doc in private practice? What kind of questions would be prudent to ask?

Members don't see this ad.

What fellowship where you interested in? Do you enjoy the variety of comprehensive?

I was considering either medical or surgical retina. I do enjoy the variety of comprehensive, especially cataract, but I have heard staying busy can be a problem in a busy market.

Members don't see this ad :)
So for as long as I can remember I've been set on a fellowship after residency followed by a career in academics. I recently received a great job offer from a family friend in a comprehensive practice in a busy urban area that is making me question whether a fellowship is necessary anymore. My question is, can a busy comprehensive doc do as well or better than say, a busy retina doc in private practice? What kind of questions would be prudent to ask?

there's a big difference between retina versus comphrensive. the real question is if you'd be happy with retina only or comprehensive (cataracts, dry eyes , basic retina/oculoplatics/glaucoma).

If you have a good opportunity with your friend, you can do well as comprehensive. just don't let your guard down. even a "family friend" has the potential to give you a bad deal.

I was considering either medical or surgical retina. I do enjoy the variety of comprehensive, especially cataract, but I have heard staying busy can be a problem in a busy market.

Staying busy can be a problem in any sub-specialty. You will not be busier simply because you did a fellowship. You have to love what you do. Retina and comprehensive ophthalmology are surprisingly different. You should be sure you like one or the other before pursing a fellowship in retina. Cornea and glaucoma would be more appropriate if what you like is general ophthalmology but want a little something extra to market yourself. Other specialties like peds, retina, oculoplastics etc are quite a bit different and should be considered only if you like the field. I guess medical retina might be an exception.