RestoreSight

7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So for as long as I can remember I've been set on a fellowship after residency followed by a career in academics. I recently received a great job offer from a family friend in a comprehensive practice in a busy urban area that is making me question whether a fellowship is necessary anymore. My question is, can a busy comprehensive doc do as well or better than say, a busy retina doc in private practice? What kind of questions would be prudent to ask?

JMK2005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
What fellowship where you interested in? Do you enjoy the variety of comprehensive?

OP
RestoreSight

RestoreSight

7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was considering either medical or surgical retina. I do enjoy the variety of comprehensive, especially cataract, but I have heard staying busy can be a problem in a busy market.

JMK2005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
So for as long as I can remember I've been set on a fellowship after residency followed by a career in academics. I recently received a great job offer from a family friend in a comprehensive practice in a busy urban area that is making me question whether a fellowship is necessary anymore. My question is, can a busy comprehensive doc do as well or better than say, a busy retina doc in private practice? What kind of questions would be prudent to ask?
there's a big difference between retina versus comphrensive. the real question is if you'd be happy with retina only or comprehensive (cataracts, dry eyes , basic retina/oculoplatics/glaucoma).

If you have a good opportunity with your friend, you can do well as comprehensive. just don't let your guard down. even a "family friend" has the potential to give you a bad deal.

MstaKing10

10+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
I was considering either medical or surgical retina. I do enjoy the variety of comprehensive, especially cataract, but I have heard staying busy can be a problem in a busy market.
Staying busy can be a problem in any sub-specialty. You will not be busier simply because you did a fellowship. You have to love what you do. Retina and comprehensive ophthalmology are surprisingly different. You should be sure you like one or the other before pursing a fellowship in retina. Cornea and glaucoma would be more appropriate if what you like is general ophthalmology but want a little something extra to market yourself. Other specialties like peds, retina, oculoplastics etc are quite a bit different and should be considered only if you like the field. I guess medical retina might be an exception.