Trowell

10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2004
Status
I found there are fellowships for psychiatrists in Neuro-Psychiatry,although not a board recognized fellowship. I also found information on the Neuro psych. assoc. web page. I like the idea of treating pts. with behaviroal problems that have neurologic diseases or had brain injuries. Is it necessary to attend a fellowship in this area? Is there a market for it? Do neurologists handle these type of patients? What are your thoughts in practicing in this area? Has anyone worked with a psychiatrist that attended a neuropsychiatry fellowship? Whats a better field to go into neuropsychiatry or peds psych?

OldPsychDoc

Senior Curmudgeon
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Left of Center
Status
Attending Physician
Trowell said:
I found there are fellowships for psychiatrists in Neuro-Psychiatry,although not a board recognized fellowship. I also found information on the Neuro psych. assoc. web page. I like the idea of treating pts. with behaviroal problems that have neurologic diseases or had brain injuries. Is it necessary to attend a fellowship in this area? Is there a market for it? Do neurologists handle these type of patients? What are your thoughts in practicing in this area? Has anyone worked with a psychiatrist that attended a neuropsychiatry fellowship? Whats a better field to go into neuropsychiatry or peds psych?
My experience as a med student and resident is that if a neurology patient has a behavioral issue it's "Get a Psych consult--STAT!" for most neurologists. We got a fair amount of experience dealing with this stuff by doing residency in a large teaching hospital, so a specific fellowship probably isn't necessary.

"What's better" is really up to you--do you want to deal with tough, neurologically & medically complicated patients, or kids (and their often dysfunctional families) with problems? The money and hours are probably better in child psych, but you can go and do whatever your passion is and make a good living.