Fellowship Research Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NoSleepNoProblm

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

I am a pre-medical student interested in having a career where I could combine clinical practice with research, and am thus considering the MD/PhD route. However, my main goal is to specialize (in allergy/immunology, in case you were curious), which I know provides 2-3 years of about 80% protected research time (this might be a little off). Since the ultimate goal is to do research, I am wondering if the fellowship in itself provides sufficient training in research. I am well aware that MDs (without a PhD) can conduct research, yet to do so they must find ways to obtain research education and experience. I am wondering if a fellowship is a viable form of this education/experience, and which path (MD/Phd or MD w/ fellowship) provides the most applicable research experience (as in, excluding any experiences that are intended for someone who is pursuing a professorship).

Also, I have heard that during residency, doctors can engage in research. Is this true, and if so, is it only for those with PhDs or pursuing a PhD? And how many residency programs are there that allow one to do this?

Finally, I would really appreciate any ideas on how to gain research experience outside of the MD/PhD route (while still pursuing the MD degree). The more nontraditional, the better. Yes, this last question is trite, has been asked before, and as a result, I’m sure someone will try to refer me to somewhere else or give me one of those strange smiley-faces. What I would really love, though, is any ideas or experiences that go beyond the traditional path of undergraduate research, volunteering at a hospital, etc.


Thanks for your input!