Fellowship start date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coralfangs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking into geriatric psych fellowships.
However, I am a bit offset due to a leave. I am expected to finish by Sept. However, the programs have their start dates on July 1st. Do people in my situation apply the year after they graduate?

Members don't see this ad.

you can negotiate a later start date depending on the program and how interested they are. its not uncommon for people to start in august certainly. given how many fellowships go unfilled i wouldn't imagine that it should be too much of a bother. you are a bit late in the game as most places started reviewing applicants/interviewing by now but since you just need a thready pulse for geriatrics it should be okay. be sure to call up and ask the places you are interested in about this.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, there's usually some flexibility with fellowship start times aside from child. At my training program, geriatrics, addiction and psychosomatic fellows all had the option of starting between July and August. I would guess September could be worked out as well.

Reactions: 1 user