Fellowship start dates?

Started by jericurls
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jericurls

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,
I am posting for the first time on this forum. I am just wondering about fellowship start dates.
I am a bit delayed due to a leave during PGY1 and I am scheduled to graduate by Oct 2017.
I am looking into applying for fellowships and want to negotiate with the program directors about the start dates. Either Nov or Jan? According to my program director, I should send them my CV (since I have a decent profile with several awards and >10 publications, mostly first and second authors). Is that a common practice to do so asking for such a late start date? Is it appropriate to attach my CV in that initial email asking for a delayed start date? Has it been done before?
Thanks a ton guys!
 
What fellowship?

There may be some that are happy to have a warm body occupying the spot, but if you were looking at a fellowship that actually says "no" to applicants occasionally, you may have to start July 1, 2018. Starting 25% of the way through fellowship will be a non-starter for many.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
True. And the worst case scenario is that you start on time nine months after you finish residency. That is not such a bad thing. It's not like delaying medical school or residency, when you may have a loss and skills or opportunity cost.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I know that the fellowship I graduated from was willing to consider applicants who couldn't start right in July because we discussed it as a possibility with one of the incoming fellows after me. I don't think it is all that rare that fellows can't start in July. Life happens (maternity leave, bereavement leave, etc.) and many people end up needing to take a little time off during residency that might result in graduating a little bit late.

If they absolutely need you to start in July, then I'd probably just try to find some locum tenens work for a few months while waiting to start the following July.