Fellowship thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tatabox80

Super-Duper Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Not sure if many people here are interested in adolescent medicine, but was wondering if anyone had an opinion. I've been out and practicing for the last couple of years but I plan on going back for more training. I am thinking of either pursuing a fellowship in adolescent medicine or perhaps pursuing the post peds portal program for child and adolescent psychiatry. Regardless, I enjoy troubled adolescents and have a strong interest in mental health. I was wondering if anyone has had similar interests.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

Not sure if many people here are interested in adolescent medicine, but was wondering if anyone had an opinion. I've been out and practicing for the last couple of years but I plan on going back for more training. I am thinking of either pursuing a fellowship in adolescent medicine or perhaps pursuing the post peds portal program for child and adolescent psychiatry. Regardless, I enjoy troubled adolescents and have a strong interest in mental health. I was wondering if anyone has had similar interests.

My hat's off to you for being interested and able to deal with troubled adolescents! I couldn't do it. As far as going back into training after practicing, go for it! I did it and am glad I did. You do have to make sure your family is ok and decide where and how and when. It takes planning. Did you have specific concerns about it?

Also do you want to see only troubled teens or do you still want to do some gen peds stuff? What type of practice do you see yourself in? I think that should determine which route you go.

I'm single and my two puppies are my "kids"...thus fellowship isn't an issue. I do enjoy all aspects of adolescent medicine. They are just an interesting group to work with. I enjoy the education part of adolescent...but my favorite is mental health issues. I'm wondering if I pursue the psych route if I will end up primarily adjusting medications mostly or if it will be more involved.