Fellowship with Strong Hematology Training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harlesmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Lots of peds hem/onc programs with strong oncology training but I am most interested in benign hematology (hemoglobinopathies, sickle cell disease, bone marrow failure syndrome, etc) and stem cell transplantation of this benign conditions. Any thoughts on fellowship programs with strong hematology training ? I know Boston and Cincinnati are on the list.

Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

This is by no means comprehensive but I went into Peds Heme/Onc applications last year and wanted to do coagulation. My mentors (peds hematologist) gave me this list of places to look into for heme: Denver, Nationwide (they have an extra coag fellowship year), UTSW, Emory, Baylor, and UCSF. I had some specific geographical areas I wanted to end up in so didn't interview in all these places and also interviewed at several others but those were stronger in Hematology per who I spoke with.

This is by no means comprehensive but I went into Peds Heme/Onc applications last year and wanted to do coagulation. My mentors (peds hematologist) gave me this list of places to look into for heme: Denver, Nationwide (they have an extra coag fellowship year), UTSW, Emory, Baylor, and UCSF. I had some specific geographical areas I wanted to end up in so didn't interview in all these places and also interviewed at several others but those were stronger in Hematology per who I spoke with.

Thanks, I heard good things about UTSW and Baylor, not sure about UCSF, Denver and Emory. I just felt they were more onc oriented. Nationwide has the 4th year coagulation fellowship which makes them special. Definitely will look into that !

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that CHOP is excellent in addition to the above programs.

I think it is important to realize that pretty much everywhere is "onc oriented" its a matter of finding what you want specifically in heme andwho has that "niche" covered well with good faculty to learn from. I was told at numerous places when I stated my goals to consider Denver. Emory has a very large hematology group- if I recall right they had over 1800 sickle cell patients and a large bleeding disorders program as well. When I did a rotation there in medical school I spent a whole week just doing heme clinics (SS, bleeding, benign heme, vascular malformations, etc) and on consult service also saw a bunch of heme issues and helped managed quite a few anti-coag patients.

On the interview trail I found that bigger cities with multiple children's hospitals often even had heme areas divided between centers as they do for some oncology issues: for ex ample- MSKCC/Cornell had the state-wide hemophilia treatment center but very little sickle cell as those patients went to SUNY Downstate (they did offer fellows the chance to do a month at Downstate but if sickle cell was your passion it may not be best fit). This also seemed true in Chicago and Houston.

For me my final decision came down to locations I would want to live in and interview experiences especially with people who I shared interests with as they will be the ones teaching me.

Hi guys,

I'd appreciate any opinions on how to rank these places for an applicant interested in an academic career in adult malignant heme, specifically lymphomas:
Univ of Washington/Fred Hutch
Stanford
UPenn
UCLA harbor/city of hope
BIDMC
Fox Chase
Case western
Albert einstein montefiore
Baylor
U maryland
U Rochester
Southwestern Dallas