Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Burnted_out

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
For a 2 day fellowship interview, what do you wear on the second day? This is a serious question btw. I am planning on wearing a suit the first day but I only own one suit whichwas hard enough for me to find given that I am short and thin and everything is massive on me. Is it tacky to wear the same suit on the following day? Is it needed to wear a suit the second day? Is it ok to wear something nice but not a suit?

Also what's the thought in terms of nail polish that's glittery? Tacky or is it ok?

Members don't see this ad.

For a 2 day fellowship interview, what do you wear on the second day? This is a serious question btw. I am planning on wearing a suit the first day but I only own one suit whichwas hard enough for me to find given that I am short and thin and everything is massive on me. Is it tacky to wear the same suit on the following day? Is it needed to wear a suit the second day? Is it ok to wear something nice but not a suit?

Also what's the thought in terms of nail polish that's glittery? Tacky or is it ok?

Same suit with a different shirt is fine. Hold the glitter

Reactions: 2 users
I personally would probably wear a professional dress on the second day.

I like wearing make up and nail polish, but would probably skip glitter to be on the safe side.

I personally would probably wear a professional dress on the second day.

I like wearing make up and nail polish, but would probably skip glitter to be on the safe side.

I can’t wear dresses too short and I look ridiculous in them

I can’t wear dresses too short and I look ridiculous in them
Get it tailored to fit...how short can you be? I’m 5’4” and can wear a dress just fine.

What is scheduled for the 2nd day? More of the same as the 1st day? Then wear the suit with a different blouse.

And yeah, no glitter on the nails...neutral color or French tips.

Reactions: 1 user
Get it tailored to fit...how short can you be? I’m 5’4” and can wear a dress just fine.

What is scheduled for the 2nd day? More of the same as the 1st day? Then wear the suit with a different blouse.

And yeah, no glitter on the nails...neutral color or French tips.

I am shorter than you *sigh* 5'0 - maybe that's why no one takes me seriously and thinks I'm a midlevel haha! So no dresses are a no go. Suit fits fine so I guess I'll go with that.

I assume you're a 5'0" female given discussions of nail polish and dresses, but any consideration to getting a second suit?

I assume you're a 5'0" female given discussions of nail polish and dresses, but any consideration to getting a second suit?

Yes, that would be correct. I was actually told to wear scrubs on one of the days. I was afraid to ask because I did not want to be thought of as stupid, so I'm glad they brought it up. But to answer your question, suits are a challenge for me! I wear a suit that's a petite 0 so it's incredibly hard to find. It took me months I believe to find an appropriate suit when I was on the job hunt, so really don't want to go that route. So I'm glad I can do scrubs! Yay!

I am shorter than you *sigh* 5'0 - maybe that's why no one takes me seriously and thinks I'm a midlevel haha! So no dresses are a no go. Suit fits fine so I guess I'll go with that.

Thin and 5 ft F here. Go to Ann Taylor and get the suits on sale if you can. I have 6 sets total ( residency and fellowship interviews). I always bring more than 1 suit with me to an interview in case anything happen to one. I am now using them for job interviews now. Well worth the investment! They go all the way to 00P. Honestly, not that hard. Order online, return to store for those not fit.

Reactions: 2 users
Thin and 5 ft F here. Go to Ann Taylor and get the suits on sale if you can. I have 6 sets total ( residency and fellowship interviews). I always bring more than 1 suit with me to an interview in case anything happen to one. I am now using them for job interviews now. Well worth the investment! They go all the way to 00P. Honestly, not that hard. Order online, return to store for those not fit.
I do have an Ann. Taylor suit! It’s one of the few that has fitness me well.

how short can you be? I’m 5’4” and can wear a dress just fine.
You're the height of the average adult female in the US, so some female claiming to be short will almost always be shorter than you. I mean, I still think any type of clothing can look appropriate at any height if it fits well, but your post read to me that you felt you were short despite being average.

You're the height of the average adult female in the US, so some female claiming to be short will almost always be shorter than you. I mean, I still think any type of clothing can look appropriate at any height if it fits well, but your post read to me that you felt you were short despite being average.

I would agree with this

Buy another suit. You're an adult now, you'll need it anyway.

Just a general tip - the word is "woman".

And yes, the average woman is 5'4. But the average adult in the US is 5'7 (since half the adult population is men, who average 5'10) - so plenty of average women would still call themselves short.

Just a general tip - the word is "woman".
Female and male are both nouns that refer to humans. I see nothing wrong with the use of such words.

so plenty of average women would still call themselves short.
Well they would be wrong. My point is, the conversation went like this:

OP: I'm so short that dresses look bad on me.
Other poster: Dresses look fine on me and I'm average height, so how short could you actually be?

It just read weird. I didn't mean much by it.

Female and male are both nouns that refer to humans. I see nothing wrong with the use of such words.

Well they would be wrong. My point is, the conversation went like this:

OP: I'm so short that dresses look bad on me.
Other poster: Dresses look fine on me and I'm average height, so how short could you actually be?

It just read weird. I didn't mean much by it.

I think this conversation has gone into a direction not intended. I did not wear a dress or a second suit, i wore scrubs and all went well and was offered the position.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to say that unless you consider yourself knowledgeable on women's fashion, that you probably stay out of conversations that relate to the fashionability of dresses on women of various heights

a lot of women's fashion is NOT based on what is average

plenty of women could be of TRUE "average" height and not feel that dresses flatter them

I mean, what guy is so nitpicky as to come in here and start talking about "short" or not as it relates to suits and dresses? do a lot of shopping in the women's section and reading fashion magazines, do you?

if you do that's great, I'm all for M2F, sissification, cross-dressing, and there are men that are otherwise involved in fashion or knowledgable about it

I can tell that the commenters are not, though

I mean, what guy is so nitpicky as to come in here and start talking about "short" or not as it relates to suits and dresses?
Just so we're all clear, can you quote a post in here from a guy which talks about short as it relates to dresses? I'm suspecting you're misreading some posts.

I think this conversation has gone into a direction not intended. I did not wear a dress or a second suit, i wore scrubs and all went well and was offered the position.
Agreed, but since the problem was solved I guess we can talk about whatever now?

What sort of interview has you wearing scrubs? Is this common for surgical/procedural specialties?

i usually have to get a petite size because of my height and i believe that petite sizing is for 5'4" or shorter (and I'm 5' 3 and 3/4", but i rounded up :) )

Different suit, nice smile, just be you! They will love that.

Agreed, but since the problem was solved I guess we can talk about whatever now?

What sort of interview has you wearing scrubs? Is this common for surgical/procedural specialties?
Different suit, nice smile, just be you! They will love that.

Haha! Yes I'm sure that's how fellows, etc are picked. It all worked out, but I don't think being super nice if one is not what they are looking for will get you the spot. In this case it did so I'm glad.

I’m not much taller, and I find Calvin Klein petite dresses fit me very well.

But I agree with other posts— you couldn’t go wrong with just getting a second suit.