Fellowships and funding opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SynBio

Arrowsmith in training
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am looking for fellowships and funding opportunities that I can apply for during MD-PhD training in addition to the program funding. I was looking at the F30 award, but I could not find a comprehensive list for schools that allow or restrict their students from applying for this award. Is this something only available by contacting each individual school?

Also, I found this link https://www.aamc.org/students/linkableblob/62756-3/data/fundingformdphd-data.pdf for various fellowships but does anyone have any other useful info? I have found several interesting opportunities such as the Hertz Fellowship which seems potentially useful for certain physician-scientist focuses like bioengineering, but do these programs limit these types of support in the same manner as in the F30 to the students?

Members don't see this ad.

I would be surprised to learn that any MD-PhD programs do not allow their students to apply for F30 funding. Quite the contrary, some programs are now thinking about requiring their students to apply for external funding. The NIH is expanding F-series opportunities and squeezing institutional training grants.

The only limitation for the F30 is the number of years of funding if you are currently under MSTP funding. Simply put, both the MSTP and the F30 are NRSA training grants. A given student can have up to 6 years of NRSA funding. In our program, for example, the first two years (med school) are NRSA-funded. The remaining years are provided by the institution. When I applied for the F30, I requested four years of F30 NRSA funding, to reach my maximum of six.

Putting that small nuance aside, I am not aware of any program which restricts you from applying for an F30/F31 or other fellowships. In fact, nearly all programs encourage it. (Think about it: It saves the program money, and it makes their students look better!)

Having gone through the F30 process a year ago, I could answer any additional questions you might have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for the response. My question about restriction was more towards is it possible to receive a full stipend from an individual MSTP (or non-MSTP) and to supplement that income by applying for a F30 at the same time? Can you get both internal and external funding at the same time?

Last edited:
Thank you both for the response. My question about restriction was more towards is it possible to receive a full stipend from an individual MSTP (or non-MSTP) and to supplement that income by applying for a F30 at the same time? Can you get both internal and external funding at the same time?
No, you can't supplement your income by getting a 2nd grant. There are rare exceptions to this using some foundation funding but it's rare enough to not be an issue.

Several institutions give your stipend a small bonus (a few thousand $) if you are awarded an F30.

Reactions: 1 user