Fellowships available for Anesthesiologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katheudontas parateroumen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
What are off the beaten paths for anesthesiology that you know of? I know the traditional anesthesiology fellowships:
CCM, CT, Peds, Pain, Regional, OB.
What about a list of other specialties? Maybe some lesser known routes you've found. Looking for ACGME or Non-ACGME:
Transfusion medicine (Could be a blood banker instead)
Hospice/palliative (Make my own home hospice center)
Sleep medicine
Hyperbaric medicine
Perioperative medicine (Non)
Ambulatory/Non OR anesthesia
Cancer anesthesia (MD Anderson has one) non
Neuro fellowships (non)
Transplant/Liver
Trauma

Anything else you have found? And what are your thoughts are these?
PS- Can you tell I'm already a burnt out CA-2 looking for a way out and all my options? haha

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,
What are off the beaten paths for anesthesiology that you know of? I know the traditional anesthesiology fellowships:
CCM, CT, Peds, Pain, Regional, OB.
What about a list of other specialties? Maybe some lesser known routes you've found. Looking for ACGME or Non-ACGME:
Transfusion medicine (Could be a blood banker instead)
Hospice/palliative (Make my own home hospice center)
Sleep medicine
Hyperbaric medicine
Perioperative medicine (Non)
Ambulatory/Non OR anesthesia
Cancer anesthesia (MD Anderson has one) non
Neuro fellowships (non)
Transplant/Liver
Trauma

Anything else you have found? And what are your thoughts are these?
PS- Can you tell I'm already a burnt out CA-2 looking for a way out and all my options? haha
I thought MD Anderson was Thoracic, it’s like all the work of Cardiac with 0.5% of the opportunities.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Somewhere someone has an “informatics” fellowship

A few places have a simulation fellowship.

If only these can simulate some information about making real money.

Also a NORA fellowship truly sounds like hell on earth - Endo, Bronchs, IR, cardioversions, ICU sedation.... literally places we all draw straws to see who isn’t unlucky enough to have to go do.

More seriously, I am not sure a fellowship would allow you to run a blood bank. I am hardly the authority but I believe that’s Subspecialty out of Heme/Onc and may even have its own board. It’s IM based and they love their exams.

Reactions: 1 user
Somewhere someone has an “informatics” fellowship

A few places have a simulation fellowship.

If only these can simulate some information about making real money.

Also a NORA fellowship truly sounds like hell on earth - Endo, Bronchs, IR, cardioversions, ICU sedation.... literally places we all draw straws to see who isn’t unlucky enough to have to go do.

More seriously, I am not sure a fellowship would allow you to run a blood bank. I am hardly the authority but I believe that’s Subspecialty out of Heme/Onc and may even have its own board. It’s IM based and they love their exams.
Our blood bank is run by pathologists, but I have specifically been told by those pathologists during our blood bank rotation that it is not that uncommon for a blood bank in small hospitals to be run by an anesthesiologist. (I can't give any examples. I can only share what I was told)

Our blood bank is run by pathologists, but I have specifically been told by those pathologists during our blood bank rotation that it is not that uncommon for a blood bank in small hospitals to be run by an anesthesiologist. (I can't give any examples. I can only share what I was told)

Yes! That’s right, pathology. My mistake.

here’s an example: Blood Banking and Transfusion Medicine Fellowship

Looks like Anesthesiology grads are actually eligible and it’s ACGME-accredited. Interesting! It’s also 2 years, bleh.

You can do sleep, you can do addiction, palliative and pretty sure even hyperbarics. The first three for sure. I would seriously look into sleep but it may be competitive and hospitals would want you to pair it with CCM. I suppose you could have your own free standing sleep lab.
Palliative is not competitive and addiction just started formal fellowship recently. Can’t imagine it being competitive.

Consider pain if you’re looking for a way to flex into OP medicine. It’s a legit subspecialty with a lot of options (cancer pain, addiction, palliative) that differ substantially from the day-to-day of OR anesthesia.

Or just choose another residency. Consider your past 2 years a sunk cost and find something you actually enjoy. Don't double down on your misery.

Reactions: 3 users
Consider pain if you’re looking for a way to flex into OP medicine. It’s a legit subspecialty with a lot of options (cancer pain, addiction, palliative) that differ substantially from the day-to-day of OR anesthesia.
Not for everyone, unless you like being a police officer.

You could look into a non-clinical career path. I know a small group of people who used their MD degree to launch a career in business after getting burned out intern year. Not a well-defined path, but the guys I know that were able to figure it out seem quite happy with the change. Although, the ones I know were not doing anesthesiology, not sure if that makes a difference since they jumped ship early. You would have more clinical experience under your belt than they did.

The guy that I know best was doing psych, but then bailed for a consulting job that he found out about somehow. He was married, starting to have kids. Just wasn't feeling it after medical school and wanted more time with his family. No regrets on his part.

Isn’t there also a Fellowship of The Ring?

Reactions: 2 users
Structural heart.
Cardiology imaging fellowship.

Attachments

• Structural Heart Program Description_166479059160055.pdf
    188.8 KB · Views: 70
I also find the ECHO fellowship at Utah to be quite cool.

UCSF imaging. There is a route to all non invasive cardiac imaging. TTE, TEE, CT, MRI, Stress, and Nucs. Likely you will have to do a CV anesthesia fellowship plus or minus a ICU fellowship plus or minus other cardiac training.

UCSF imaging. There is a route to all non invasive cardiac imaging. TTE, TEE, CT, MRI, Stress, and Nucs. Likely you will have to do a CV anesthesia fellowship plus or minus a ICU fellowship plus or minus other cardiac training.

And then make almost as little (per hour) as your academic colleagues with non-ACGME worthless fellowships. That's the dream. :p

Reactions: 2 users