1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Fellowships in General

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by hawkeey, Dec 16, 2005.

1. hawkeey

hawkeey Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    To what kind of fellowships to MD/PhD applicants typically apply? I believe there are few NIH ones intended more for graduate students.

Which fellowships are compatible with a MSTP fellowship? Are there any?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. beary

beary Pancytopenic
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It totally varies. You are right that the NIH does have ones for graduate students, as do lots of private foundations like HHMI.

I never even applied for a fellowship during my MSTP years because the NIH funds your med school and I got on an institutional NIH pulmonary training grant during my graduate years.

4. kassie

kassie Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I go to an NIH-funded MSTP and applied for a fellowship anyway just because I thought it was good to start grant-writing now rather than later when rejection has a lot more to lose. And I got the fellowship. It was the NIH/NINDS for combined degree candidates. I got it 4 years ago so I don't even know if it exists anymore. Others have gotten ones in NIMH and NIAID -for URM. I thought HHMI didn't like MSTPs to apply.

I heard that any graduate school NIH fellowship can include the last 2 years of med school.

Our school now has a web site with opportunities for MSTPs:
    Funding Opportunities

I hope this helps!

5. fishdoctor

fishdoctor New Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    You can apply to any fellowship you like.

6. J. Peterman

J. Peterman Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for starting this thread. I've also been thinking about fellowships lately, but unfortunately it's been difficult to find anything. I'll be completing my research in the fields of immunology and/or cancer - from what I've seen, none of the NIH institutes offer fellowships in these areas. Howard Hughes Medical Institute does give out predoctoral fellowships, but the packages I've seen specifically exclude MD/PhD students.... Does anyone know of predoctoral fellowships geared towards immunology or cancer?

Sincerely
    ~JP

7. Habari

Habari Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hhmi predoctoral fellowships ceased to exist a few years ago to my knowledge.