Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arteg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult is it to get into a fellowship after working in private practice for a couple of years, is it usually more challenging to get a spot compared to starting right after residency? I'm interested in Clinical neurophysiology or neuromuscular fellowships.

Members don't see this ad.

How difficult is it to get into a fellowship after working in private practice for a couple of years, is it usually more challenging to get a spot compared to starting right after residency? I'm interested in Clinical neurophysiology or neuromuscular fellowships.

Easy, because you have real-world clinical experience. Especially if you've already passed your boards.

The somewhat tricky part is that many programs fill internally, and far in advance, with their own residents, so there may not really be open slots at every program. Best bet is to look at large programs with multiple fellowship slots in your field of interest.

The other really hard part is deciding for yourself if you want to live with:

#1. the pay cut.

#2. having to put yourself back into the role of a supervised trainee again and having to explain/defend everything you do.

how big is a pay cut? I have no idea what salary looks like when someone is on fellowship.

how big is a pay cut? I have no idea what salary looks like when someone is on fellowship.

The OP is thinking of going back to do a fellowship after several years of actual real-world, post-residency practice. The average salary for a neurologist with a couple of years in private practice in the $200K range. The salary for a fellow is whatever the training institution pays a PGY-5 level resident -- that's likely somewhere between $45-55K. You can do the math.

Regarding the Navy poster: During payback, you will be relatively underpaid compared to civilian neurologists, so you will also take a hit if you go back and do a fellowship after your Navy time is up, just not as big a hit. Plus, your separation from the military creates a nice logical breaking point to go back to fellowship. A couple of words of advice especially for you: start contacting fellowship programs to express interest TWO YEARS prior to when you think you would start -- as I said in my prior post, many fill up with internal candidates a couple years in advance, and as an "outsider" you need to get your name circulating. Second, if you are eligible, and haven't done it yet, SIGN UP FOR THE GI BILL!!!!!! It's the closest you'll ever come to free money. Do yourself a favor and look into it. It pays about $1000 a month while you are in a fellowship program after separation! :D