Fellowships...

Started by Gigantron
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gigantron

Robot
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I come here with a specific question regarding residency training and fellowship training. Please forgive my perceived ignorance as I am currently pre-med.

So as I currently understand, as a resident, you are exposed to a multitude of different areas within the field of neurosurgery (like cereberovascular/endovascular neurosurgery, pediatrics, stereotactic, spine, etc.). If you decide to complete a fellowship in, oh lets say, neurosurgical oncology, would you still have the ability to operate within the other different facets of neurosurgery like epilepsy or spine once you start your practice? I would assume that you would still be able to treat a broad-spectrum of neurosurgical disease (not just brain tumors) since you were exposed to them as a resident, but I'm not really sure.

Thank you for taking the time to answer!
 
Last edited: