• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

docs87

Feb 20, 2011
Status (Visible)
Hello this is my first medical school interview. I need a women's prospective, I know to dress conservatively but is it flashy to carry a designer purse like LV? What about jewelry? thank you

ljpm8224

emt-abcdefgh
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello this is my first medical school interview. I need a women's prospective, I know to dress conservatively but is it flashy to carry a designer purse like LV? What about jewelry? thank you

unless it's an understated bag (not coated in logos) I'd err on the side of no lux labels... it's ONLY going to hurt if they typecast you (fashionista/"label wh*re"/derm gunner/whatever) or otherwise would be neutral (dude not knowing anything about brands) whereas I couldn't see it helping at all.

jewerly: keep it conservative. studs, standard necklace/pendant/pearls if those are your thang.

GL! :)

dr135

Feb 7, 2012
Status (Visible)

I know how you feel, I interviewed for Rcsi in march and was really nervous about what would be acceptable. I wore black teen flow plants that went to my ankles. Pantyhose underneath, it looks far more professional this way. Black heels 2.5 or 3 inch, not to high that you look like an idiot but not flats. A fuchsia blouse and a black 3/4 length jacket over top. I also had a leather folio with me with all my application things incase I was interviewed by more than one person and they needed a copy.
My suggestions:

Do not wear flats, to formal. If you can't walk in heels, learn.
Do not take a clutch of any kind, you will look like to much of a fashionista than a worth candidate.
I wouldn't go over board on the jewelry, I just wore a ring.
Don't show clevage either, although I'm assuming that's a given.

Hope this helps. What school are you interviewing for?

About the Ads

bambi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
England
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I know how you feel, I interviewed for Rcsi in march and was really nervous about what would be acceptable. I wore black teen flow plants that went to my ankles. Pantyhose underneath, it looks far more professional this way. Black heels 2.5 or 3 inch, not to high that you look like an idiot but not flats. A fuchsia blouse and a black 3/4 length jacket over top. I also had a leather folio with me with all my application things incase I was interviewed by more than one person and they needed a copy.
My suggestions:

Do not wear flats, to formal. If you can't walk in heels, learn.
Do not take a clutch of any kind, you will look like to much of a fashionista than a worth candidate.
I wouldn't go over board on the jewelry, I just wore a ring.
Don't show clevage either, although I'm assuming that's a given.

Hope this helps. What school are you interviewing for?

This is complete nonsense. Wear something clean, that is reasonably smart, don't wear huge jewellery and don't get your boobs out. Beyond that no-one really cares.

dr135

Feb 7, 2012
Status (Visible)
This is complete nonsense. Wear something clean, that is reasonably smart, don't wear huge jewellery and don't get your boobs out. Beyond that no-one really cares.

Non sense or not, it what I wore and that's what the question is asking. Also what you stated above is the same that I did..

bambi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
England
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
The question asked what to wear not what people actually wore. You talk about flat shoes being too smart, learning to walk in heels, not taking a clutch etc - not what I said at all. No one cares as long as you don't look like a slob or a ho though a leather folio would look more odd to most people than a fancy bag at your stage.

Gos81238ia

Irish med school, US residency, Canadian practice
7+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2012
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Keep it SIMPLE. This is a professional interview, not a fashion show. Wear neutral colors and a simple blouse. In terms of jewelry, be careful as it can easily hurt the image you present. By all means wear earrings and a bracelet or something, but make sure they are real pieces, not $5 ones picked up from claires.

As for shoes, flats or small heels are fine. Personally, I wore flats to my med interviews as I prefer to be comfortable. Both are acceptable professionally, as long as they are clean and scuff-free. Finally, just as a tip be sure to wash off your nail polish and trim your nails before going in! You don't want to show up with chipped blue nail polish and have to hide your fingers the whole time.

All in all, your appearance can't help you in the interview if sufficiently neat and clean because it isn't a factor they judge you on but it can certainly be distracting and hurt your application if you don't look put together and this distracts from what you are saying in response to their questions. You want them to focus on your words, not your looks.

dr135

Feb 7, 2012
Status (Visible)
The question asked what to wear not what people actually wore. You talk about flat shoes being too smart, learning to walk in heels, not taking a clutch etc - not what I said at all. No one cares as long as you don't look like a slob or a ho though a leather folio would look more odd to most people than a fancy bag at your stage.

True, my mistake I misread the question. I do agree with the last comment, don't stress as it has no impact. Looking put together is the main point.

docs87

Feb 20, 2011
Status (Visible)
Thank you, im interviewing for rcsi. I just bought a very nice suit and will keep the bling to a minimum, if at all. Last question glasses or contacts?

Last edited:

Lbgem

10+ Year Member
May 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Thank you, im interviewing for rcsi. I just bought a very nice suit and will keep the bling to a minimum, if at all. Last question glasses or contacts?

No difference. I think glasses make you look more studious, contacts make you prettier. Though some guys will think glasses look pretty anyways.

Don't overdo it on the makeup. No perfume. And ya watch the bling. Just think bland conservative. I mean if you want ideas, suit + nice blouse/undershirt.

You don't want whatever you're wearing to get the attention they should be giving to what you're saying.

Also, I disagree with the heels in a sense. Just professional looking shoes is fine. Coach for example has some professional looking flats. I would tell someone if they had a big issue with heels to wear flats. You don't want to be tripping all over if you can't walk in them. I like Monroe's - they're comfortable, professional looking and yes have a heel, but a thicker one. They're also expensive, but I've been wearing them through job interviews, med school interviews, and now when we see patients. The closest I could find and it's not that similar but gives you an idea was this. Also wasn't open toed.

dr135

Feb 7, 2012
Status (Visible)
No difference. I think glasses make you look more studious, contacts make you prettier. Though some guys will think glasses look pretty anyways.

Don't overdo it on the makeup. No perfume. And ya watch the bling. Just think bland conservative. I mean if you want ideas, suit + nice blouse/undershirt.

You don't want whatever you're wearing to get the attention they should be giving to what you're saying.

Also, I disagree with the heels in a sense. Just professional looking shoes is fine. Coach for example has some professional looking flats. I would tell someone if they had a big issue with heels to wear flats. You don't want to be tripping all over if you can't walk in them. I like Monroe's - they're comfortable, professional looking and yes have a heel, but a thicker one. They're also expensive, but I've been wearing them through job interviews, med school interviews, and now when we see patients. The closest I could find and it's not that similar but gives you an idea was this. Also wasn't open toed.
I also agree with the glasses comment, although that is really just an opinion. Good luck, feel free to pm if you have any questions.

Gos81238ia

Irish med school, US residency, Canadian practice
7+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2012
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

+1 to the no perfume, that's a big no no. And contacts or glasses are both fine, whatever you're more used to and will keep you comfortable and relaxed in the interview

bambi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
England
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
No one cares if you wear contacts or glasses, or heels, or flats or perfume as long as you don't shower in it. Be clean, comfortable and smart. You will look like an idiot if you end up fidgeting because you are trying to dress up so much that you end up uncomfortable. No one cares or even notices the little things, they will only notice if you look or act like a weirdo ! Just don't do that, it is that simple!

bambi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
England
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Bambi please tell me how you dressed for your interview.

A suit, shirt and flat shoes. Same for every interview. At my scholarship interview I wore a regular top instead of a shirt. All interviews were successful, seriously, no one cares!

Pinky677

Apr 26, 2011
Status (Visible)
I'm just going from my interview experience last year, I would say MOST girls wore black pantsuits with an understated blouse (a few wore knee length skirt suits, one without pantyhose and my mother was mortified... so I would say definitely wear pantyhose if you're headed down the skirt suit route.) I wore flats and got accepted, so obviously theres nothing wrong with that... I think you look like an idiot if you wear heels and can't walk in them, and its a long day... so be comfortable. I didn't see any of the girls with purses. If they had anything it was a leather portfolio.

This isn't the time to show off your fashion sense of what brands you/your parents can afford... Keep it professional yet comfortable.

Friendly

Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2003
California, USA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

Do you have a pleated skirt? Fashionable, conservative, nice on the eye, and feminine. No jewelery.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.