Female majority

Started by cjf
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cjf

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been looking at all health professional school statistics and see that females dominate the demographics. Some make up up to 80% in certain schools. Is this due to a bias towards females? Or (most likely) females more likely to be attracted to a profession where they can raise a family around?

Just wondering.
 
Last edited:
I don't think its a bias I think that more women than men apply to pharmacy school. One girl I went to class with told me she wanted to go into it because she could work 20 hours a week while making a 40 hour a week salary and still raise a family. I'd also like to think of the majority of students being female as a little reward for me when I get accepted 🙂
 
I've been looking at all of the school statistics and see that females dominate the demographics. Some make up up to 80% in certain schools. Is this due to a bias towards females? Or (most likely) females more likely to be attracted to a profession where they can raise a family around?

Just wondering.

I think it's a bit of both, but more so due to the second reason (family compatiable career).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm. When I interviewed recently I noticed that in the group of 30, half were men and half were women. I wonder if it's just that one interview day that was 50/50 but overall, there are still more women interviewed than men? Or are men and women equally invited to interviews but somehow more women are accepted?

I'm taking a philosophy class this semester and there seems to be more men than us women, LOL. Kind of a nice change for me, since I'm so used to being in groups where there are mostly women.
I think it's a bit of both, but more so due to the second reason (family compatiable career).