fertility worries..advice from OB/GYN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

irlandesa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently 29 y/o, soon to turn 30. I am currently single and I don't know when/if that will change.:( I know that in about 1 year, my likelihood of having a baby will begin to plummet sharply, and am very worried. If I am not able to have children with a partner due to advanced age, I would love to adopt (and even if I were blessed with biological children and a husband!), but if I remain single, the chances of being able to adopt are extremely slim, even though the child would have wonderful, supportive grandparents. Therefore, I may have to consider sperm donation/fertility treatments in the future. I would like to know from current OB/GYN's what your patient's experiences have been with Clomid, IVF, egg freezing and/or donor eggs.. What kinds of complications have you seen in such patients, and how often? And, at what age do you tend to see astoundingly more complications in pregnancy in your personal experience?

As a med student, I saw some cases that didn't turn out too well, with triplets/quadruplets, even if the babies were OK in the end, it just seems too high risk IMO. Also, a 38 y/o woman in my IM residency program had her first child recently (no fertility treatments), the baby was a couple weeks early, she was in labor for a long time, and the child weighed just 5 lbs. However, her new daughter turned out very cute and healthy in the end! My mom had me just after turning 35, and there were no complications at all (once again, no fertility aids). Thanks for your help, I really don't know what to think at this point; although I would like a family, it is not worth seriously jeopardizing my health or a child's to do so. If I missed the boat, I guess I'll just have to deal with it in time.

P.S.: FYI, I am healthy, non-smoker, BMI<25, minimal ETOH, and would not drink at all if attempting to conceive.

Members don't see this ad.

If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of any page on this forum, you'll see a little notice that reads:

Not for medical advice.
See your family doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.