Few Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaxa2000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, would it be a bad idea to take classes at a university and at a community college at the same time? Some of my friends are doing this, but my university adviser said the hours you earn @ a CC while enrolled in a university won't transfer. Will they transfer if you take classes during summer school @ a community college while currently enrolled at a university?

Second, would it be a bad idea to take a science class at a university in the summer?

Third, should I take Calc-based physics or Alg-based physics...what about for Statistics? I know it depends on the pharmacy school on which one you should take but I'm talking about in general. Why will some pharmacy schools accept 2 semesters of high school physics or am I seeing things? Don't you need physics for the PCAT?

Fourth, what things should I know/do to maximize my chances of getting into pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad.

I did take a CC class while at a university b/c I didn't want to deal with the crappy physics department at UA. It's really personal choice on that. Most classes will transfer, they just won't be factored into your university GPA. Just make sure they will transfer by taking to an advisor or looking at your school website. Again, up to you on the science course at a university over the summer. Summer school is really expensive at a university, so check out your options.

Take algebra-based physics most likely. The only pharm school I've seen that requires calc-based is USF, so probably not worth it unless you really want to go there. Physics is not on the PCAT, but is a pharm school pre-req. The classes a pharm school will take depends on the school's policies, so just do your research. Really just look at some schools your are interested in and see what they require.

Definitely volunteer or work in a pharmacy and get involved in campus clubs, especially community service. And study to keep that GPA up!

i would confirm with the school, but i am pretty sure it still wont transfer even if the course(s) were taken during the summer

my school would not let me take classes at a community college either

Members don't see this ad :)
interesting...i never thought of this as an issue...i took a class at the JC while at the university and it transfered over with ease.

So maybe they won't transfer to your university, but they should transfer to a pharmacy school as a pre-req. I guess it depends if you are trying to get a four year degree or not. Might be safer to take all classes at your university so you get credit for them.

I'd say if you have the confidence, go for calc-based physics. It will look better for you that you choose the harder course. Even if calc-based physics is not required, some of the schools I have been looking at say it is strongly recommended over algebra-physics. I say it's a tossup between grades and the harder class. If you think you can get a B or an A in calc physics, then go for it. But if you think you'll get a C or something, then taking algebra-based physics is probably better.

Also, do you need this credit from CC to count for your uni? If not, I don't see why it matters, because you'd just be taking the class to fulfill the prepharm prereq, so just get that CC to send their transcript to the school/pharmcas/whatever.

Will taking a science class during the summer affect my chances of getting into pharmacy school?

I'm going to take Chem 1 and Cal 1 in the fall and Micro and Chem 2 in the spring. Then I was thinking maybe I could finish Organic over the summer and then do Physics in the Fall of next year and I would complete my prereqs within the next year and a half. I'm doing all of this at a University. I've already completed General Bio I and II w/ lab at a community college plus alot of the easy classes.

Also, could I take my non-science classes at a community college during wintermester/maymester terms? I don't plan on majoring in anything, just finishing my pre-reqs for pharmacy school.

Lots of people take summer school. It doesn't matter when you do it as long as you get it done. That being said, taking a class over the summer is really hard because you have a lot less time to cover the material. I would think O. chem would be really hard over the summer, but it all depends on how committed you are to studying and how fast you learn info.

Lots of people take summer school. It doesn't matter when you do it as long as you get it done. That being said, taking a class over the summer is really hard because you have a lot less time to cover the material. I would think O. chem would be really hard over the summer, but it all depends on how committed you are to studying and how fast you learn info.

YAY UA! :)

When I talked to my advisor, she actually suggested taking physics at a community college (UA physics classes have a bad rep). So I took both semesters of it last summer (two 5-week courses). It was a little hard, but I managed to pull a B in both (it's CC..). Physics doesn't really matter anyway (right?). I also took both semesters of Ochem this summer, one at a university and the other at a CC because it was the only way I could fit both in. I don't recommend doing that if it's your first time taking the class because it is A LOT to memorize/learn in a VERY short amount of time. It was my second time taking both...so...yeah. <_<

The units transferred over smoothly. The only thing with taking the CC classes is that it doesn't affect the university gpa, but UA (and I don't know what other colleges?) calculates the grades into the science GPA for the application since the grades do show up on the transfer list.

Oh, UA also requires a B in second semester ochem now. I hear that if you take it at a community college, you need an A... but that's just a rumor?
Do schools generally expect higher grades for courses taken at CCs?

Hope that helps... :)

YAY UA! :)

When I talked to my advisor, she actually suggested taking physics at a community college (UA physics classes have a bad rep). So I took both semesters of it last summer (two 5-week courses). It was a little hard, but I managed to pull a B in both (it's CC..). Physics doesn't really matter anyway (right?). I also took both semesters of Ochem this summer, one at a university and the other at a CC because it was the only way I could fit both in. I don't recommend doing that if it's your first time taking the class because it is A LOT to memorize/learn in a VERY short amount of time. It was my second time taking both...so...yeah. <_<

The units transferred over smoothly. The only thing with taking the CC classes is that it doesn't affect the university gpa, but UA (and I don't know what other colleges?) calculates the grades into the science GPA for the application since the grades do show up on the transfer list.

Oh, UA also requires a B in second semester ochem now. I hear that if you take it at a community college, you need an A... but that's just a rumor?
Do schools generally expect higher grades for courses taken at CCs?

Hope that helps... :)

Yucky UA physics! I managed to get an A in first semester physics at UA, but I think I got one of the better physics profs. Took the second semester at CC so I didn't have to work so hard...lol. Just looked at the website, UA wants B's in both O.chem semesters.

I personally think you better get good grades at a CC. All the classes I have heard about sound super easy...note cards and open book! Of course, schools outside AZ might be different.